Tuesday, October 11, 2011

How To Plan a Stress Free Wedding - Version 3.0

The big day has come and gone and the newlyweds are off on a cruise to Mexico.  Now that the party is over I feel free to finally reveal some of the wedding planning craziness that went on over the last weeks and months.  You've been wondering what we would choose for a theme, of course.  You've been sitting on pins and needles to find out what sort of crazy decor we came up with this time.   Come on, admit it!  You just couldn't WAIT to see all the details.  Well, here we go then.......

First off, Opera Diva chose purple as her color.  We promptly placed our order with China for purple chair bows and table skirts.  My peeps got RIGHT ON IT!


Then we decided that since Opera Diva loves Opera so much, we would make the wedding theme "One Night In Venice".  My first order of business was to get a backdrop which would give the feel of being in St Mark's square at night.  We found a fabulous image on Istock Photos and had it blown up into 7 - 10' by 12' panels........ordered in China, of course.

The Groom was right into all the party preparations, as you can see.  He kept things orderly and clean because, as most people know, Tamara is not that clean and tidy when she is busy CREATING A MASTERPIECE! 

The next order of business was to make a new CHANDELIER, which has become a Jansen family wedding tradition.  I had a specific look in mind which I had seen in a hotel somewhere in the orient a few years back.  I explained the style I was trying to achieve to the Big Guy and he got busy preparing the frame.


Please realize that we had just returned from a round the world trip to the Netherlands and an unplanned stop in the Orient. Time was now of the essence. All of the decorative "ingredients" had already arrived from China and it was imperative that we get moving on putting everything together.  Progress was fairly slow at first.  The Big Guy wasn't really that focused on my chandelier project.   This picture is taken shortly after he found out I made inquiries at a local golf and country club to see if we could use their facility for the wedding instead of the greenhouse due to lack of progress on the wedding tent......

ME?!  STRESSED?!  No way!

So, of course, the chandelier suddenly became a top priority and took shape in just a day!


It's just amazing how a few hundred glass christmas ornaments and a bunch of pot lights can turn into something rather eye catching......




NOTE TO SELF:  During set-up, always carry your GOOD camera for future blog posts.  Blackberry photos are just not that great.


Now, continuing on with our Venetian theme, we decided to set up a night garden for the cocktail hour.  We started by hanging purple and silver paper lanters.


Of course, the question always is "How many lanterns will we need?".  I wish there was an easy answer but there isn't.   Now, it's even MORE difficult to make a clear and intelligent decision like that when you are sitting in a tiny little shop in down town Guangzhou, China surrounded by 20 helpful sales people who only speak Chinese.  In the end, we went with the Big Guy's gut feeling and I think he was right.



They looked absolutely stunning once they were all lit up......


The next step was to set up the GARDEN. Good thing my sister Rosa and our very own Gardening Guru were here to make magic happen!



I had rented a few things to give that Italian feel in the garden from CanAm Importiques, a Movie Prop rental place in Burnaby....


Stone table legs and a water fountain.....


which really made the whole thing come to life!



I also rented a few opera type costumes from Watt's Costume rental in Vancouver to add that FINAL TOUCH to the scene......


For some reason the men in the greenhouse were somewhat disturbed by the naked mannequin in the garden......


so we dressed her as soon as possible to avoid any further distractions.



In the evening, this little corner of the greenhouse looked completely different than during the day.


But then again.......what DOESN'T look different at night as oppossed to the day??!!  Darknes is the friend of any party planner, in my opinion.  I mean, can you tell there are a few stains on this table cloth.....


Honestly, even I look better at night.


 Some people mistake me for my daughters in dim lighting.  I LOVE dim lighting.

Another "little" project the girls did was make some venetian masks.  Opera Diva chose the design and everyone pitched in to get it done.


 We painted the masks in purple and silver......


photocopied music, stained it with tea and dried it on the dry rack......



and kept the Wee One far away from the hot glue gun to avoid any unhappy accidents.  It took many nights of hard work and dedication but they turned out just FABULOUS!

Here's a DAY SHOT.......


and a NIGHT SHOT......


Totally different at night, right?! 

Now, I have a quiz for those who were invited to the party to see if they were paying close attention.  Did anyone notice the connection between the wedding invitations (besides the purple color).....


and the floral decorations?........


That's right.......the FEATHER!


Attention to detail is my goal in life.  Call me crazy.  Call me a control freak.  Call me genius...... 

Just don't call me to plan a wedding for another year or so.  I'm soooo tired!

So, to cap off this lesson in how to plan a wedding, I would like to end with a few of my favorite candid shots from the big day.


The Wee One in rollers



The Wee One tickling the ivories



Keeping the Wee One out of the fish pond


Domaine de Chaberton Winery, Langley BC

Mini Me dazzling the audience on her violin



Click HERE to watch the Big Guy doing his best Dean Martin impression
 
Michelle Koebke and Joel "Baritone" dazzling us with a little opera

The Bride and Groom with stars in their eyes


Make sure to stop by again soon for an update on the WHOLE wedding!

I leave you with a video made for the bridal couple from Fancy Feat Studios:



12 Comments »

12 Responses to “How To Plan a Stress Free Wedding - Version 3.0”

Alyson Sunny said...

When people ask me how the wedding was, the only word that pops us is ELEGANT and AMAZING! The bride and groom looked stunning, and I know table 2 had a grand ole time! (hence some snorting you may or may not have heard...) The music was fantastic, and the day just went so well! It was great to be part of such a beautiful day! (oh and I noticed the feathers (even the signing table one..) :O)

Donna said...

I call you "genius" for sure! It all looks just fabulous! From the flowers to the chandelier (I don't know you keep coming up with amazing versions) to the stunning Chinese lanterns it is so wonderful! What imagination and attention to detail! You all look beautiful and happy as well....congratulations!!!

Nancy-Mom said...

It was all absolutely stunningly beautiful and the Big Guy did great with the singing. The opera singers were great as well.
I was lucky enough to be given a centre piece (thanks !!) to take home but as we weren't going home for a few days we smuggled (totally without realizing that was a no no)across the border to Shona's who is now enjoying it. We went past your place on Monday to see if we could still get some of those beautiful mums, but you were gone for brunch :o)

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Your attention to detail has paid off. What a romantic, and beautiful setting. Your daughters are very fortunate to have you helping out, it's lovely.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Rosa Veldkamp said...

I had a great time playing in the garden and as there is nothing I like more than collaborating I was thrilled to have the expert help of Mini Me's main squeeze!
I also enjoyed sitting at the "grown up" table with mom, Lisa, Aunty Nancy and the rest of the adults. . . And Tim. lol
Thanks for letting me join in the fun!

Rosa Veldkamp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marina said...

Υes...the train of their life has just started its travel!!! I hope they'll have a wonderful trip of love, hapinness and health, with many little flowers around them and YOU standing always next to them, caring, helping and loving as parents should always do!!!
Gongrats to the planning and doing, to everybody who helped and create!!!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Well, Tamara...you never cease to amaze!!! :-D I first "met" you at the time of daughter #1's wedding and was completely blown away.
I am always in awe of you and your lovely family. It seems you have enough energy to live the life of three people (at once).
I'm so happy everything went well. All the beautiful details that night were absolutely breathtaking. Kudos, my friend!!!
Mary Lou
P.S. Oh, and that chandelier...speechless!! So gorgeous!!! : )

Amy said...

Looks like another beautiful Jansen wedding, Tamara. Very nicely done!

Jen said...

I found you through FJI's blog...you did an amazing job & your family looks to be quite the entertainment, too, with all of the talent going on the stage. Beautiful job on the wedding!

Jen

Ashley said...

Please please tell me where this wedding took place.

Ashlee said...

I NEED to know where this wedding took place, I'm in the process of planning my wedding, for June 2013 and I just can't find the right venue, your work is amazing. I'm in love with everything I've seen and I'd really really love to know where all of this took place, Local I hope, being that I see Domaine de Chaberton !!!