Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Baby Boomers Shun Being Called Grandma


Aunty "Gramma" Lisa at her daughter's wedding this past March
As I drove my 2 teenagers to school this morning I heard a report on the radio that really got me thinking.  The reporter stated that the Baby Boomer generation is not too crazy about being called Grandma these days.  As a matter of fact, they are slightly embarassed by the moniker. 

Gwenyth Paltrow recently said in a TV interview that her Mom, Blythe Tanner, wanted to be called Woof instead of Grandma.

“My mom’s hot and she didn’t want to be called Grandma,” Paltrow said on Chelsea Lately. “So she kept trying to make the Woof thing stick. It’s even her e-mail address.”

I am here to tell you that not ALL Baby Boomers think that way.  My sister is the BEST example of the perfect Baby Boomer Grandma who wears her name with PRIDE. 

First of all, please let me introduce you to her SEVEN grandchildren.....

Grandbaby number 1:



Grandbaby #2:


Grandbaby #3 and #4:


Grandbaby # 5:



Grandbaby #6:



And last but not least......Grandbaby #7:



My sister loves being a Gramma so much that even MY Granddaughter calls her "Aunty Gramma Lisa"!

Me and my sister, we embrace being BABY BOOMER GRANNY'S.  We get together as family and friends to enjoy the noise, mess and mayhem that comes with being a GRAMMA every chance we get.  Check out our most recent "GRANNY FEST" caught on video by Mini Me who thoughtfully filmed and edited the event as a lovely gift for the Birthday Boy!


Maybe it's our dutch heritage that makes us wear our "grey hair" with pride....or maybe we're not the only ones out there who think being a Grandma is the best thing in the whole wide world.  What's your thoughts on this subject, dear blogger peeps?  I'd like to hear what YOU think about all this GRANNY fuss.

Leave me a message and let me know how things go in your neck of the woods!  I love hearing from you all.

All PHOTOS are courtesy of Dragonflight Photography, the best photographer around.  Check out their website HERE. 


11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Baby Boomers Shun Being Called Grandma”

Becky K. said...

When the time is right and I become a Grandma I hope to embrace and thoroughly enjoy it! All I know is that Grandma's keep looking younger all of the time and many doctors look like children to me. lol

Couldn't be my perspective, could it?

Deb said...

I love being a grandma...or Oma as I'm called...you can still be young and be a grandma....my Mom was 35 when my son was born and she loved being Nanny....Age is a number....

Rosa said...

You KNOW I,m going to LOVE being a grandma if I am to be blessed that way!!
Thanks to both of you for sharing your grandkids! :)

NellJean said...

Precious children. Anybody should be proud to have them call her Grandma. My grandchildren called me 'Grandmother' since the first one could talk.

Anonymous said...

Thanks breanne, you are amazingly talented! And thanks for the warm words Tamara, you are right, there is no feeling like it when your grandchild comes in your front door, and makes a beeline to you, yelling gramma!!!and when everyday life gets difficult, there is nothing like a smile and a hug from one of your grandchildren( unless it's a super hug from Alicia :p) to make you feel better. Well, a hug from my husband or anyone of my children works too.. Lisa

Nancy-Mom said...

I love being called grandma, never cared for the oma thing we're in Canada so, grandma it is, 24 times over, we're so blessed.

Evelyn in Canada said...

I think I'll be close to 60 by the time I'm a grandma, so I'm sure I won't mind. I don't think I'm considered part of the Baby Boomers though. I think I'm a Generation X.

SavannahGranny said...

Being a Grandma is on of the best things that has ever happened to me. My five grandsons have given me such pleasure and I am sure they have lengthened my life.

I am called Mema, Grandma and Granny. I love them all. The Granny thing started when two of the boys, at about age eight to ten decided to see if they could aggravate me by calling me Granny. Of course I was not going to let them get my goat, so Granny it is.
Who cares what they call you as long as they call. They are all adults now and they do call and visit, often. That's what it is all about. Hugs, Ginger

T.B.H. said...

My grandchildren are the light of my life (only second to my Lord). Even the eight year old grandson who can be grumpy and non-affectionate comes willingly to my arms for a hug and a kiss. They shower me with love no matter what my hair looks like or if I'm in my gardening grubbies. They amuse me wonderfully, and amaze me with their dewy-eyed beauty. Even though, D.V., by the end of the year I will be so blessed with 15 of them, each one fills my heart with love and comfort and gives me reason and purpose. My only deep regret is that only six of them will remember their Papa, and even the memories of him are fading for them. I am honoured and thrilled to be their Mama.

Jennifer said...

I was so upset when my mother-in law taught my kids to call her Neena. Basically it implies, I don't want to be Grandma, & I am ashamed to be thought of as old. I would rather be something like a young Nanny. Reverse this. How would it be if I didn't want to be called Mommy, Just call me Nonny. It just feels wrong. And the sad part is I adore her so much. She is a good person and I have tried my best to let it go. I just lost a lot of respect for her for that.

Anonymous said...

One of the sweetest sounds I heard recently was 5 grandkids and 2 of their friends chanting "Grandma, Grandma, Grandma" as they caught a glimpse of me before the customs doors closed behind the people infront of me in the airport. Music to my ears! Alida