Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pipe Organs Are Our Passion

PIPE ORGANS are our passion.........


Not only do they make BEAUTIFUL music......


but they bellow out harmonious melodies that just warm the soul!  Pipe organ have a long tradition in the Big Guy's family.


You see, his mom has been a church organist all her adult life.  She used to play the children to sleep at night, practicing for the weekly Sunday service.  Some of her children went on to follow in her footsteps, playing Bach and Beethoven with great finesse.  The Big Guy never did quite get the hang of the keyboard but he does still have a great ADMIRATION for organ music to this day.



The family is so FIRED UP about pipe organs that the Big Guy's Dad actually took up the very rare hobby of organ re-building when he retired.  



This organ is one of the first projects he was involved in.  Many years ago, he put his heart and soul into making sure our church had a wonderful pipe organ to accompany the congregational singing here in Langley.

But, after 27 years of excellent service, this older organ was beginning to show it's age and needed replacing.


The congregation worked hard, under the guidance of a few key organ enthusiasts, to replace the old version with a brand new Casavant organ......



and today the Big Guy and I got to see this story come full circle.  Just around dinner time we got to sit below these IMPRESSIVE new pipes and listen to our children rehearse with the organ for a concert that will happen on Friday.



It should be a wonderful evening of great music and warm fellowship. I'm hoping y'all will make some time to come on out to hear these talented performers.  Tickets are FREE and the coffee will be fresh.  How can you resist?!

And now, for the Hong Kong Pooh Bear GIVE AWAY WINNER.

CONGRATULATIONS go to.........ALIDA!

Wow, isn't that FANTASTIC?!  I guess I'll just bring him along to the concert on Friday because I KNOW Alida is going to be attending!  I hope your grandkids LOVE this cuddly Pooh Bear as much as my grand daughter does.......


she is just a teeney, weeney bit jealous that HER mom didn't win him.  I guess she's just going to have to go visit Gramma Alida, now isn't she?


12 Comments »

12 Responses to “Pipe Organs Are Our Passion”

Becky K. said...

Impressive musical family history!
Wishing I was closer. I would so love to be at this concert!

Becky K.

Lori E said...

Music you can feel right through your body. Lovely.
Congrats to Alida.

Anonymous said...

aw bummer, i guess now I will have to find a big yellow friend replacement for poor celina. Shes going to be so lonely with out a chubby little cubby all stuffed with flufies friend.

Lydia

Rosa said...

That's quite the organ.
We've been waiting for our pipe organ to be done for a very long time. We did get a teaser a few weeks ago but I'm told only a few of the pipes were used. It doesn't look like it will be ready for this Christmas either!

Claudia said...

I know a fair, and I mean just a fair amount about organs as one of my best friends has his Masters degree in Organ Performance. Because I was around him a great deal, I learned so much about organs. I even used to turn pages for him when he was playing in concert. His favorite was Casavant.

xo
Claudia

momofcrt said...

I played the "old" organ often for school events, it was a gooder. I'd love to try the new one some time! I miss the pipe organ I played in Coaldale. Our church now has a beautiful organ too, but nothing is the same as a pipe organ. I'd love to be at the concert, but alas distance and demands forbid it.

momofcrt said...

PS Rosa, I'm waiting for your organ to be done too, that's been a work in progress for how long now? I played the one you currently have, it's okay but very limited.

trash talk said...

It's beautiful...the story, family and the music!
What's really beautiful is that baby though!
Debbie

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited! I can't believe I won! And Celina is always welcome to visit Pooh. I'm sure he will miss her. Maybe you'll have to bring back his twin next time you go to Hong Kong. Alida

Marina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marina said...

Have you ever been to Paris? Notre Dame has the biggest organ in the whole Europe!!! The sound is so beautiful that even if you have a different religion, you have to admire the music....
Congrats to Alida! Winnie has chosen his home wisely!!!:)

Anonymous said...

addiction fioricetfioricet 100
Historic companies have held the mdg children for 2015 within pension in some banks.