Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fall Hoe Down - Before and After

Summer is winding down and temperatures are falling.  The leaves around here are just beginning to change their hue from green to red, yellow and orange. 

Winter breezes are just around the corner which means that soon we will not be able to venture outside for back yard bonfires or a patio barbecue until next spring.  Knowing all this and following a quick check with GOOGLE for a current weather forecast, we decided that Junior's engagement party should be held THIS weekend to take advantage of one last opportunity for an outside garden party.

Now, I tend take parties pretty serious because I want to make sure that everyone who takes the time to stop in for the festivities feel comfortable and relaxed.  On occasion, the suggestion has been made that Tamara is just a little "over the top" when planning a SOIREE.   But, since I am an avid follower of Martha, I'm quite sure there is NO SUCH THING as "over the top" when it comes to a gathering of family and friends!

Can I hear a "You GO girl!"  from all my blogger peeps out there?

Seeing as it's Metamorphosis Monday over at Between Naps on the Porch, I thought I would share with you some of the planning that went into this final outdoor party for 2010.

This was my porch on Saturday morning.  12 lovely pumpkins were the inspiration for this backyard party.  Next we added a few hay bales and straw hats........

and just a couple garden mums from the field.........


to create a colorful and inviting patio display. 

Not only did its look great once it was all finished but it had the added bonus of covering up the chipped and peeling paint on my back steps.  Good thing my sister Rosa is stopping in for a few days next week 'cause I'm thinking we should spend an afternoon getting "creative" on my porch and slap a coat of fresh paint on those babies!  Isn't that what sister's are for?! 

Here is the back yard BEFORE........




and AFTER once we set up a comfortable place to sit around the fire with haybales.......
We set up a table filled with enough punch, wieners, buns, marshmallows and graham crackers to satisfy the appetite of a herd of elephants.........

not to mention the wheelbarrow full of cold beverages........

As the sun disappeared, we lit the torches, fired up the bonfires and circled round to enjoy one final night under the stars........

I just LOVE back yard bonfires with all my peeps in attendance!

We made sure to have a back up "RAIN" plan by setting out chairs on the patio......

as well as indoor seating for those of us who just enjoy the IDEA of outside while sitting in the comfort of a livingroom devoid of mosquitoes or bees......
I must admit, I was enjoying myself immensely by popping in and out of the house to check on the guests......
and make sure that Junior was handing out cigars to all his buddies.......

while keeping his lovely new fiance warm in the chilly fall air.  I hope she was not too shocked by the SIZE of our family though.  There were a lot of new faces for her to memorize, what with all the Aunts, Uncles, cousins and third generation babies that were in attendance.

All in all, our FINAL FALL FIESTA was a wonderful event!  As a matter of fact, I had such a great time last night that I completely FORGOT that I had a whole WHACK of QUESADILLAS that I meant to grill up on the barbecue!  Can you believe it?!

So, inorder to use up all the left overs,  I organized a SECOND engagement party for the following day where Junior and Cinderella took the opportunity to open their gifts.

We all gathered eagerly around the MOUNTAIN of gifts that just went on and on and on......

CONGRATULATIONS to the two of you!  May you be richly blessed by our Heavenly Father as you journey on together.

For more Fall Vignettes, just pop on over to Color Outside the Lines

 


10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Fall Hoe Down - Before and After”

gena said...

Wow - what a great job ! Everything looks so inviting and cozy !!!!!
thanks for sharing,
gena
www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

Rosa said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!
You know how I love anything over the top!
You do know that I'm coming THIS week Thursday right?!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Yeehaw!

I hope you have stopped by and entered my Fab Fall French Giveaway.

Lori E said...

Looks like a lot of fun.Over the top? Not at all. Martha would be proud.

Shelia said...

Hi Tamara!! Oh, what a great time and everything looks so good! I'm sure your guests had a wonderful time.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Colleen said...

Looks like fun was had! Wish we could have been there too! Do they have a date set?

Denise said...

What a fun party! Your decorations look great. I LOVE that red wheel!

I hope you don't mind. I linked your post to my PORCH AND GARDEN PARTY at firstadream.blogspot.com.

The Caffeinated Globe said...

That's a beautiful setting. And I liked what you wrote about "no such thing as 'over the top'..."

Just want to let you know that, in my latest post, I mentioned you and your blog. See for yourself:
http://caffeinatedglobe.blogspot.com/2010/10/caffeinated-globe-turns-1.html.

Becky K. said...

How cool would it be to have a field full of mums to pull from??? Gotta love that!

Everything looks amazing and I love seeing the young couple. They look so very happy.

Becky K.

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

Congrats to your engaged couple and that party looks so beautiful and fun...Love all those mums and pumpkins!!!