Friday, April 2, 2010

Spring Is In The Air


April means SPRING here at the greenhouse.......



and that means CHAOS for all my amazing peeps at Darvonda.

For the next 2 months absolutely EVERYONE is pushed into service to help us get our plants out to thecustomers. The baskets are all hanging......high above the production floor......everything looks colorful and fresh. The Regal Geraniums are in full bloom.....and the Gerberras are colored up, ready to ship to market. Our managers, a great bunch of people...... spend a full year planning for the big spring rush. Timing is critical.

We have to order tags and they must be just right because mistakes can cause a LOT of HEADACHES! Calculations have to made to see if we are making any profit in the end......Containers have to be designed and ordered from far off lands like China, India and Malaysia and stored inside until it's time to sell.....Planting lines need to be organized so we can all use our time in the most efficient and organized fashion.....Soil has to be ordered in BULK because we use a whole LOT of soil in a season.....But the results of all that planning are really quite breathtaking. Aren't these plants just GORGEOUS?! Would you just look at this little Gecko infestation going on out there? I am so excited to get these babies out to the stores and into YOUR garden. My favorite BIG BOX STORE is opening their garden centers in British Columbia on Monday and we are going to have all kinds of goodies there. The Wee One is just as excited about the whole thing 'cause she LOVES all things flowers......just like her Gramma.


14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Spring Is In The Air”

The Berry's Patch said...

Your flowers look beautiful! And so does that grand baby. Happy Easter!

Brandee

Becky K. said...

Have Fun! I know all of that hard work will pay off! Everyone is so tired of Winter and will buy flowers and plants like crazy!!!

Becky K.

Nancy-Mom said...

So where's the big box store in Vernon that you supply ????? Going to Kelowna is just to much trouble :-(

Rosa said...

You know what I just noticed???
Your managers are all on the young side. . .
especially the one crunching numbers!!
Good luck on Monday. I'll be praying for you all.
Love you.

Tootsie said...

man I could almost smell that place from here!! Looks good...and you are going to have a great sale!!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Tamara, thanks for coming by. Hope you have a wonderful Easter. It must be pretty around your greenhouse about now. I love to dig in the dirt too & intend to do it more this year.

Melissa Miller said...

Tamara isn't it a gorgeous backyard? I wish it was ours. He!

What a beautiful place and lovely flowers.

Happy Easter! ~Melissa :)

Pam Kersting said...

WoW!! The scale of your operation just amazes me. Simply fascinating! Don't know how you manage it all with such grace and humor too! One day, I would love to visit Darvonda! P.S. Thanks for the nomination! I will do the same for your blog! :-)

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

I am so excited for you!

...Now follow me...big deep slow breath, in through the nose...out through the mouth.

Again...

Lori E said...

Oh I can't wait. Your product is always so awesome.
BTW I spoke with someone from your office re some of your trailers and the bridge tolls the other day. Told him to say hi to you.

Marina said...

Happy Easter Tamara to you and your family! I believe your grand-daughter is the most beautiful flower of all! She's growing so fast! Look how skilfully she's talking at the phone!!!

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Just want to plant beaucoups of kisses on those fat little cheeks! I can't imagine how busy you all must be right now but I hope you get a chance to stop and smell the roses today. Happy Easter. xoxo

niartist said...

Oh Tamara - I think I've told you this before, but I'm so jealous. How much fun it must be to work with all of these plants. There is a nursery/florist here that has a 45 cent perennial sale in the next few weeks, and I can not wait! Not that I need to buy anything else for my yard ... but I just can't help myself! LOL! I hope you had a lovely Easter weekend! Thanks for stopping by the blog. That planter is HUGE. I'll get a full picture of it for you soon! :)

MrBrownThumb said...

Wow, this is awesome. I've love to own a greenhouse like this!

Thanks for stopping by my garden bloggers blog the other day and leaving a comment.