Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Spring Fever!

Friday was a big time holiday here in Canada. It was a statutory holiday. Nobody was working ANYWHERE, not even Canada Customs (I know that they are closed because I phoned. I have a container stuck at the port and I'm paying $400 per day for extra storage fees. They've all gone home and won't clear my container for pick up till Monday!). EVERYONE had the day off......except us poor suckers at Darvonda. Nope, no holiday for the Greenhouse guys. We had a LOT of work to do before Monday's big opening day at the Garden Centers. So how's a sad bunch like us supposed to celebrate the big EASTER HOLIDAY if we have to work?!

Never fear........LISA is here!

My sister loves me soooooo much that she made a big party for me and my crew at my house. You heard me right! Lisa packed up the contents of her entire kitchen and dragged it over to my place so she could serve us BRUNCH!

She brings tears to my eyes!

She made waffles from scratch with strawberries and whipped cream. She made bacon and eggs. She made egg mcmuffins........

I made coffee!


I'm not sure how to show her how much I love and appreciate her most times. I think I'm going to have to plant her garden this spring.


In the meantime........the work must go on.

We've got 15 acres of greenhouses to empty.......

and not much time to do it in.
We made the rounds on Monday to all the garden centers, just to check on how they looked.

People were excited to get their gardens planted........

and WE were excited to see people reading our signage. It's a lot of work to put signage on hundreds of carts........please read the signs, people!
We were very fortunate to have the sun peak out later in the afternoon........because there's nothing like a bit of sunshine to get people in the gardening mood!
A lot of the garden centers have a small covered area to protect the product from rain.....Rain in these parts is pretty common. We just learn to work around it.
So, I'm gonna be busy for the next 2 months trying to keep up with the watering and fixing and planting at the stores. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time.
Now I'm off to go do some deep breathing exercises and drink a cup of herbal tea to calm my nerves.

And Lisa, if you're reading this, drop by ANY TIME! You and your kitchen are ALWAYS welcome at my place.


15 Comments »

15 Responses to “Spring Fever!”

Evelyn in Canada said...

Sisters are a wonderful thing, aren't they? Mind you, no one packed up a kitchen to cook for me this year, but I did get company and that's uncommon and nice. The calm after the storm today is also nice.

The greenhouses always look beautiful. I can't wait to plant my garden too, but it will still be a while here.

Rosa said...

Wow!
You ARE lucky! I'm a little jealous that you got to enjoy Lisa's delicious food!
I'm saying prayers for an excellent season!!

Nancy-Mom said...

I see your mom and aunt on a picture as well, hope you put them both to work :-) and Lisa, you're welcome to come make a meal for us anytime, mmmm, I remember some of your delicious breakfasts as well.

Colleen said...

Well the border was open, Seb worked Fri-Mon

Patty said...

Oh gosh sorry about your container! Hope you had an amazing Easter!

garden girl said...

Your sister is wonderful! She reminds me of my sister - so thoughtful and generous.

That's quite a serious greenhouse business you have!

Plumber Boy said...

Was in Abbotsford today. Things are looking good! Left with a dog planter. Way to make it Abby's favourite dog. How could I say no?! Hope the season goes well!!

Nola @ the Alamo said...

Wow, scenes like those make gardeners like me get all silly just seeing what's coming our way. My first stop anytime I get out is to check out what's new at the garden centers! Thanks for making our world a little prettier.

momofcrt said...

Nice of Lisa. I see your mom and Aunt H are there as well :-) Aunt H was here for supper last week before they headed out.

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

No rest for the weary, eh?

Spring has most officially sprung!

And Lisa...sounds like a dream!

Chandra said...

How fun to see Aunt Heddy and Aunt Bertha too (well, at least Aunt B's backside) :o)

The Berry's Patch said...

Thank goodness for Lisa to save the day! I'd keep her around. ;-)

How do you have time to do it all? Your flowers look gorgeous...makes me want to run to Costco right now and buy some.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What a dear, sweet sister!

I am peeking out of my turtle show to thank you for all of your kindness and support.
be blessed dear one.

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

Your sister sounds like a doll! What a sweet gesture, and homemade waffles?! Yum!

I could spend all day in a garden center...I mean all day!!

Love your blog and will definitely be back!

Marina said...

You're so active Tamara! So much work to do, so many things to make! But don't worry! Your crew and family are always ready for help!