Wednesday, April 21, 2010

It's a Dog's Life!

Spring time is always a CRAZY time around here. You never know what you're going to be doing in the next 24 hours. I just take things minute by minute because that's how life works in the greenhouse at harvest time. We plan all year long for this great big SALES CRUSH. We never know how things will work when we are doing our preliminary leg work, designing our planters and ordering our plants, but we hope that we do a good job and come out relatively unscathed at the end of the season.

That's the plan.........and I LOVE it when a plan comes together.

But this week I was in one of the garden centers, watching 2 ladies loading up their buggy with a whole lot of our Dog planters. I watched them pick out 5....6.....10...... 12 dogs in total and load them into a cart. These ladies were smiling and laughing and having a wonderful time together. I couldn't resist asking them why on earth they would buy so many at once. Were they going to re-sell them? Were they gifts? What would someone do with 12 dog planters?

"Excuse me ladies, if you don't mind my asking, why are you buying so many dog planters?" I ask politely.
"Well" says the one woman "Our dad passed away on Thursday......"

Now I am totally confused and slightly embarrassed for disturbing them. What on earth would the passing of their father have to do with buying dog planters?!

"My dad had dogs all his life. Dalmation dogs. We want to put one dog planter on each table at the funeral in memory of his love for Dalmations. Then we'll give them to our family as gifts when they leave"
These two ladies were smiling and so happy to have found the perfect little tribute to their beloved father in my dog planters. It gave me goosebumps!

So all that work we did in China, checking out the factory..........making sure the painting was going according to plan.......ensuring that the quality was up to our standards..........all that planning had an even more important purpose than I could have imagined.

Now, I'd better get back to work. There hasn't been a crisis for the past 30 minutes so I'm due for a big one soon!

Linking up to:

Fertilizer Friday over at Tootsie Time
Inspired By over at the Inspired Room


25 Comments »

25 Responses to “It's a Dog's Life!”

Anonymous said...

That is such a lovely story. I'm sure seeing those dogs in the store just made those ladies' day...and yours too, obviously.
Alida

GeorgiaPeachez said...

Wow, isn't that something! I just love those planters and I don't have a dalmation. But I do have a black and white terrier :->
xo, suzy

tupperwaregal said...

What a great story, and what a great tribute to loved one. Those dog planters are adorable. ARe they available in Ontario? I would love to give one to my mother-in-law and my mom.
Thanks
Adalia

Evelyn in Canada said...

There's always a bigger plan in the works that we have no idea about, or how we'll play a part in it. That's a great story!

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

Wow, what a sweet story. That's what makes it all worthwhile, isn't it? I love it when those small things sneak up on us and remind us what everything is really all about. Great post!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

I saw your name in the comments over at Darlene's place and just had to peek in to see what FUN you guys were up to these days.
I loooooved this sweet story!!! Especially the part about how the ladies "were smiling and so happy" with your perfect little planters.
Also...I just about melted as I scrolled down to see how big and CUTE the little 'Wee One' is getting. And with that adorable little side ponytail sticking up...be still my heart. : )
Good luck with all that needs to be accomplished with the Business these days. You and yours never cease to amaze me!
Mary Lou

Colleen said...

They are soo cute! We just picked up a dog planter tonight.

joanny said...

It has already been said -- in several ways -- none the less it is a delightful story. Very surprising twist and turns for the lovely little planters made with such care and oversight.

Happy Outdoor Wednesday,
Joanny

momofcrt said...

That's really neat to hear Tamara! If I livd in the city I'd run out and pick one or two up, however, we live too far out and are far too busy to take the time out right now.

Denise said...

I love those planters my daughter would LOVE the dog one, I like the cat one too, I've never seen them before. What a lovely story too.

Jen C. said...

I got goosebumps too! He works in mysterious ways, and it is neat when we get a glimpse into His wonderful plan! Thanks for sharing that story. :-)

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Wonderful how it all comes together in the end, what a great story.

So glad to hear that the season is going well for you so far.

Happy Spring!

We are looking forward to visiting the retail store one day. Can't wait to see all of your beautiful flowers.

Jen

Rosa said...

Well that made me tear up!
Wonderful.

Chris said...

Boy, I bet you are really busy at this time of the year, but I wanted to thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Chris

Coco said...

The planters are so cute. I love them. If they were pigs my sister would be driving...a long way to get them.

Teresa said...

It was fun to open your blog and see all those cute little dogs...and then to read the story...sweet.
thanks for sharing.

Maureen said...

Oh how nice that they were able to find something uplifting at this time.

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Such a sweet post. Cute planters too
*hugs*deb

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

What a wonderful way to remember their father...thanks for the inspiration and those planters are sooooooo cute!!!

Hartwood Roses said...

I popped in from Fertilizer Friday, and I like what I see. The dog planters are adorable, and the funeral story is perfect! I'm off to see what else is here.
Connie

noel said...

aloha,

its raining today so seeing all the garden blooms are a nice thing to do with a hot cup of coffee.

what a wonderful story, i also enjoyed reading your detailed quality control work and visiting the factory, interesting!

Dirt Princess said...

Awww that is WONDERFUL! Doesn't that make you feel great!

linda may said...

Well isn't that lovely that your doggie planters were loved and used in such a way. You can be proud.

Tootsie said...

what a great feeling to know your work was perfect!
I was in the big box store today....bought a Darvonda hydrangea....and told the manager to get someone over to the darvonda racks and water!!! they were all starting to wilt. I offered...but the guy I talked to politely declined! haha..
the planters that were still perky were gorgeous girl...if I didn't have a kid in my cart I might have picked up more than one...so tomorrow I will sneak back! haha
sorry it took so long to make it here to say hi...been sick with a cold, kids have colds, getting divorced is a lot of work, and then there's the rest of the life thing that takes up a lot of time!
I have been telling everyone I know to go to your racks when they are out and about...buy from my friend Tamara...DARVONDA...hahaha

Tootsie said...

hey girl...I linked to you in my Fertilizer Friday post this week...was in costco..and saw the darvonda!!!