Thursday, March 25, 2010

Long Haul Trucking

Things are starting to get crazy busy in the greenhouse! The spring rush is almost upon us and that means we are sending our drivers out on the road to do a whole lot more travelling than they were doing last month. Our truck drivers are a very special breed of people and one fella in particular is someone I just HAVE to mention........'cause.......well.......he's not just a driver........he's my DAD!
My dad used to be a baker. As a matter of fact, he was the CAKE BOSS before the cake boss EXISTED! He could whip up the most amazing wedding cakes and themed birthday cakes you have ever seen. I remember one particular cake he made for Prince Charles and Lady Diana's wedding......but that's a whole OTHER story that I just don't have time to tell right now!

He retired a number of years ago and now he drives truck for us. Good thing for us because the customers LOVE my dad! He has those lady receivers wrapped around his pinky finger. I get complimentary phone calls from our customers telling me what a great guy he is all the time. I think I'm gonna have to give him an award one of these days. Not every driver gets that kind of reception when they arrive with a load full of plants that everyone is too busy to deal with during the spring rush. Driving truck can be a thankless job some days......but not for MY dad. He's got that CHARM factor. Recently we sent him on a long haul run down south to pick up some plants from California. We buy plants from other growers that we can't grow up here in our dark and dreary BC climate.

So, we send DAD because he LOVES the long haul trips.......
He LOVES his truck.......He LOVES the challenge.........and he LOVES plants!!! These are some photos he took for me while he was down there. Normally he would spend all his hard earned money on the cool plants he sees when he gets to where he's going....... but this time he brought me home a whole WHACK of pictures for my viewing pleasure!

Can you BELIEVE these gorgeous orchids?! It's not every day you get to see so many beautiful colors in one place at one time. Too bad Orchids are on the endangered species list and difficult to bring home or DAD would have bought the whole farm empty, I'm sure.


10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Long Haul Trucking”

momofcrt said...

Wow I haven't seen your dad for years!!! I think I'd still recognize him on the street though.
Gorgeous flowers.

Linda said...

You sure are proud of your dad.
I know he must be proud of you too.
Both of you need a reward for what
you do. Bringing a smile to the
all the people out there who love
flowers and plants.
Happy Spring to you!

Erica Feunekes said...

There are lots of orchids growing in Papua! My neighbour has a huge plant in her yard! I'm hoping our yard guy brings me one sometime. He regularly brings me plants from the "jungle".

tupperwaregal said...

Uncle Reg looks great! Glad to see that he is keeping busy and loves what he is doing, i remember visiting him at the bakery, and especially at Safeway in Penticton, and one year when the Cabbage Patch dolls came out Safeway held the 1st birthday party there, that was when i spent a few weeks with Uncle Reg and Aunt Linda very fond memories.
Adalia

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Tamara, he sounds like a great man. You are very fortunate to have such a wonderful ambassador to represent your company.

It's so important to have such great staff, especially when they interact with your customers.

I don't know if you read my post the other day about "No photographers allowed in here", but we left both of those nurseries. I will never return again.

And I am telling all of my previous customers about my experience when the subject comes up. Working retail for so many years, I know how important it is to have a good re.

Is your retail open?

Jen

LovingLynden said...

Cool that your dad can be involved in the family business! Unlike Marie, I was thinking I WOULDN'T recognize him if I saw him on the street..... so thanks for posting about him! I have great memories of him (and his bakery) as well!

Rosa said...

I think I must have inherited his love of plants and baking!
I did NOT inherite his love of long distance driving! ( and yet I drive a school bus for a living! lol)
Miss you already.

antigoni said...

Amazing post! Your dad, the orchids, everything. It's great to see three generations in the family business. Your dad look fantastic in his truck. It's his kingdom!

Pam Kersting said...

Now that is what I call a Family business! Can't wait to see your pretty Spring flowers and decorated shop!

Chandra said...

Well, I definitely wouldn't have recognized him on the street!