Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Wine, the Great Stress Reliever

Another hectic week at the greenhouses has begun. My first phone call of the morning, Monday morning, was an exciting one, to say the least. One of the customers I have been working with for the last 3 months suddenly called to tell me that I was being DUMPED! Can you believe it?! ME??!! DUMPED??!! I think I need a drink.....


As I am speaking calmly into the phone I hear myself saying "Just give me one more chance! I can get you ANYTHING you need!" but what I'm really thinking is "Oh, what I wouldn't do right now to be having a glass of Cabernet on a patio in the Canary Islands right now....."Then I can hear my voice rising an octave higher saying "I've been working so HARD for you! What did I do WRONG?!" My mind is racing even faster, but instead of thinking of professional sounding sales pitches to bring this client back on board, I keep remembering that amazing SYRAH we had in Barcelona last month........"Perhaps I can go back to my suppliers and work out a better price for you?! Would that bring you back to the table?!" I can feel my lips moving and I hear myself talking but my brain just won't stop thinking about that Merlot we sipped in Tenerife......OK, maybe that one wasn't the BEST Merlot we ever had but it did contain alchohol and right now, that's all that really matters. And then I hear my client say the words "I'll give you one more chance. I need your final sample by Friday!" Now THAT is a reason to CELEBRATE! Break out the bubbly baby! We're back in business! But there isn't really any time to celebrate because I now have only 5 days to pull off a miracle. I gotta start going through my pictures and find the PERFECT sample. I know I have a photo of what I'm looking for somewhere in the abyss of my digital photo files. Unfortunately I tend to take a LOT of pictures.....I kid you not! My digital camera goes with me everywhere......It's just like my American Express. I never leave home without it.....It's like underwear. I feel naked if it's not on me.

I am so dedicated to taking pictures that not even a torrential downpour will stop me. Fortunately for me, the Big Guy is quite supportive of my habit. However, I try to keep him away from the camera because as soon as he has it in his possession he starts getting all Annie Liebowitz on me, trying to get pictures at funky angles and just generally clicking shots that really shouldn't be shown in public.
Now, was it at the VATICAN that I saw that AMAZING urn that would look great as a spring planter?

I'm off to check through my files. Very little time left to get that sample made so I'd better stop fooling around and get back to work.


9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Wine, the Great Stress Reliever”

Anonymous said...

Hmm that's very interessting but to be honest i have a hard time seeing it... wonder how others think about this..

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Oooooh Hope you found it. Cannot imagine anyone dumping you!

Lisa S. said...

Gee whiz anon - others see it with a sense of humor!

i.e. the customer is ALWAYS right!
even when they're wrong.

dammit...good luck!

Lori E said...

Wine is good for you. Drink it often, enjoy it but remember life is too short to drink bad wine so always drink the good stuff.

Did you send your client a link to your 9-5 performance post? I'll bet that could clinch quite a few deals. I loved it.

antigoni said...

The day i recieved your present, i sent you an e-mail, a month ago (February 2nd). Didn't you get it?
I hope you had great time during your trip in Europe. Great photos!
I'm sorry about the truck accident...

antigoni said...

I forgot to tell you that i really enjoyed the CD's. You must be very proud for your kids. Lucky mom!!!

Marina said...

LOL...LOL...LOL...I just saw your "Workin' 9 to 5" video and I can't stop laughing!!! Why didn't you show this video to you unhappy customer? I'm sure he'll understand how much you try for your plants to be perfect!!!
I have something for you at my blog. Come and see!
I'm still laughing! You always cheer me up, one way or another! I'll watch it again!

Tootsie said...

Oh I hope you found it and pulled a miracle out of your a$$!!! I need a drink just thinking about the stress of it all

The Caffeinated Globe said...

You are one amazing woman. Good luck!

http://caffeinatedglobe.blogspot.com/