Monday, December 7, 2009

Baby It's COLD Outside!

I don't know about you but I'm not very good in COLD temperatures. That's why I moved away from Alberta over 20 years ago. Too much SNOW and WIND. Standing at a bus stop in freezing cold temperatures, trying to stave off FROST BITE was not my idea of a fun time. It's only in the last few years that I've begun to visit my old stomping grounds. This weekend the Big Guy and I decided that we would take a quick flight out to Edmonton to check on our customers in that neck of the woods. We made sure to dress warmly 'cause we knew it was a little CHILLY that far north.

We hopped into our rental car on Friday afternoon and suddenly realized that the temperatures was a nasty -19 degrees Celsius (ZERO degrees Farenheit), not a great temperature for delivering Poinsettias. Poinsettias love warm temperatures. Poinsettias are tropical. Poinsettias can freeze to DEATH in seconds at -19 degrees Celsius. As we drove, we started to have nightmares of what our plants would look like that were being delivered this very morning . Will the truck driver realize that he can't leave the back of the truck open for more than a couple seconds? Will the STORES realize that the plants need to be safely put out onto the shelves, far away from cold breezes? What a relief to find our "babies" all safe and sound!

But as the weekend progressed, the weather got a little worse. Now, how anything could be worse than -19 I had no idea until............

I got to experience -34 degrees (-9 F). You can't imagine how cold this really is. It's something I can't really describe in words. Maybe the following picture of my morning McDonald's coffee might better explain how COLD -34 degrees really is........

Baby, it's REALLY COLD outside!


11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Baby It's COLD Outside!”

Lori E said...

You need little snuggies for them. And probably for you too.

Tootsie said...

yep!!! its' damn cold here!!! last night at the worst of it- it got down to -38...tomorrow...we are supposed to reach a HIGH of -32.
Can anyone tell me WHY I insist on living here????? ANYONE????

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Brrrrr the coldest I have ever been there was -22. And that was bad enough. My cousin is reporting -37 I am freezing just thinking about it.

Got a hot water bottle?

Jen

Darlene said...

OH.MY.GOSH....I can't even FATHOM how cold that is!!!!!! I wouldn't even have stuff that is warm enough to keep myself from freezing. I don't know how people can handle that cold at all. Just getting to your car and into a store you would practically freeze....BRRRRR!!

Rosa said...

-34C.
Ah... now there's a challenge for you!!
Nothing to it!
LOL...

Somewhere in time said...

You sure have been busy. When do you have time to sleep?
I cracked up at your frozen coffee.
Was 12*F the other morning when I left for work. Burrrrrr

PamperingBeki said...

Oh.My.Goodness!! I can't even imagine!

Marina said...

How can you live with these temperatures??? I'm freezing to death as I hear them not feeling them!!! I wonder if I could live in Canada...We're waiting for 12C during weekend and I'm feeling cold already!!!

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

oh man.....I don't think I could handle that kind of cold. I really try to take good care of my beautiful poinsettias. Hi Tamara.

Chandra said...

Hey, I was in our local Big Box store today, where I bought one of your poinsettias last year, but this year they have plants that are proudly labelled as "Grown Locally". What's up with that??

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.