Thursday, November 12, 2009

Poinsettias By The Thousands


This week we finally started shipping POINSETTIAS! I know, you're thinking "It's not Christmas for a LONG time!" but that's because you're not growing hundreds of thousands of the colorful christmas plant at your place like I am. If you were, you'd be saying things like "I can't wait till we can start shipping those babies" or "I wish people would start decorating for christmas a little early this year". I should know. I've been talking like that for a month already.


It suddenly dawned on me that I'd better get out into the greenhouse BEFORE we started shipping to take some pictures to share with my blogger peeps. It's just so BEAUTIFUL in here when we are full up with color. All those CRAZY COLORS are something amazing to behold..........Don't you just LOVE a PINK Poinsettia?.......And the one color we growers all love to hate, WHITE........Why do we love to hate it? Well, because there is no PURE WHITE poinsettia available and that's what everyone wants. White poinsettias tend to be a little on the yellow side and that just reminds me of YELLOW SNOW. Catch my DRIFT?! Yellow snow.......drift.......did you get that little pun in there? I crack myself up sometimes!


Back to the serious topic of POINSETTIA SHIPPING, for the next month or so I am going to be running of OVERLOAD. During the Christmas shipping season my "To Do" list remains a mile long, no matter how many hours I work in a day.


Remember how I mentioned that we were missing a container AGAIN this year?! Well, it has been found. SCRATCH THAT off my "To Do" list.


And do you also recall how I told you I was helping to nurse someone back to health? Turns out Junior caught the H1N1 virus on his flight to Montreal where he went to visit one of our partner growers. Did he ever catch a HIGH FEVER! Nothing would help to bring it down to a reasonable level. He's on the mend now, which is great because.........he can't AFFORD to be sick for very long. He's got POINSETTIA'S to sell before December 24th rolls around.



Now make sure that you run down to your favorite Garden center/Florist/Big Box store nearest you to buy your poinsettia and show your LOCAL GROWER some LOVE! You'd be doing us a really BIG favor.



Good thing I've got my little STRESS RELIEVER prescription close at hand.......


19 Comments »

19 Responses to “Poinsettias By The Thousands”

Tootsie said...

awesome!!!! and that baby is adorable!
I will be watching for costco to get some!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Christmas in your neck of the woods, eh?

Wowza!

Love your little stress reliever!

Pam Kersting said...

WoW! Thanks for sharing all of those poinsettias with us. What a great life you lead! It all looks and feels like Heaven to me!

tupperwaregal said...

The poinsettas look great, wish i could get one, but with cats running around, it is too risky.
Adalia

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

This is too glorious for my eyes...how I wish I was close to your greenhouses just to see the glorious sights of these plants...I'll think about you with every Poinsettia I see...

Somewhere in time said...

Perfect, there are 2 garden centers in my area. I need some color for my Thanksgiving table.
Bless you and all your hard work.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

All those poinsettias are amazing to see. Our neighbors used to have a small wholesale nursery and would bring the "leftovers" to the neighbors after selling the rest to local nurseries.

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Ah the dreaded, and I am going to be honest here, hated [by me] poinsettia.

Hard to believe that for the first time in over 18 years I am not doing a nursery Christmas.

Right now, I am not sure if I am sad, or glad about that. But I was visiting a friend at the nursery where she works yesterday. And it was lovely to see the sea of color.

Take good care of yourself during this incredibly busy season, and lets hope that you sell out with perfect timing.

Jen

Dragonfly Treasure said...

So Lovely!!! You sitting in the middle is a great one for your Christmas Cared! LOL Too cute!
What an adorable baby!!!
*hugs*deb

Lori E said...

I knew I should have stopped in yesterday while I was over the bridge. Who am I kidding? I couldn't keep one alive for two weeks. Honest.
My mother-in-law on the other hand has them blooming from one year to the next.

Dirt Princess said...

Wow! Now that is a lot of poinsettias! I have a summer poinsettia. It is hot pink and lime! It is still very small, but I am looking forward to it getting much bigger!

Darlene said...

WOW all of those poinsettias are gorgeous!!!! Glad Junior is getting better.

Rosa said...

Love the pink ones!
You guys are always in my prayers.
Miss you

Cote de Texas said...

Wow - what a cool business! Must make you smile each time you see the invetory - I can't imagine how much fun it would be!!!

thanks for the comment too!

Merry Christmas - Early!
JOni

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Oh these are beautiful. I could have used a few of these last w/k for the open house..lol.. Yes, babies are the perfect stress relievers... Thanks for the sweet visit..hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE poinsettias... I think I will have to pass on them this year since I have little kittens who love to hop on the table and chew plants... le sigh!

lynn'sgarden said...

Hi Tamara,
greenhouses filled with poinsettias always take my breath away...many xmas cards with this backdrop as my kids were growing up! I can imagine the crazy hours you have to put in for the next few weeks...enjoy ;)

Saucy said...

I wish, wish, wish we lived closer. I need a fundraiser for the Cheerios and selling poinsettias would be great but none of the greenhouses out here either are nice enough plants or have a good enough price point to turn them over. Years ago, my cheer team sold over 200 plants in one week - I got them for $7.00 and sold them for $12.00 and they were gorgeous... like yours! Any thoughts?