Thursday, September 10, 2009

Did You Know That China Blocks Access to Blogger and Facebook?

You’ve been wondering why I haven’t been blogging about my trip to China, haven’t you? Can it be that Tamara has been too busy to BLOG?!As it turns out, I am not able to access blogger from China. It seems to have been censored by the government since there was some violent uprising somewhere in this vast country. I guess the government didn’t want people to hear about what was going on so……no free access to blogger, facebook or twitter. Not that I use Twitter. I’m not that technologically savvy. But how can anyone even THINK of taking away my blogger priviledges?!


I have nothing politically important to share with you. There’s really no reason to keep Tamara from posting to her blog. I would only want to share things like a few pictures from our trip to the SPLENDID CHINA amusement park in Shenzhen.Nothing too controversial about that. It was a gorgeous theme park that gave us the opportunity to visit every significant landmark in China in under 8 hours. We checked out places like THE FORBIDDEN CITY………and CONFUSCIOUS TEMPLE and THE GREAT WALL,the most amazing fortifying walls in the world that required 1 million men to build and even the TERRACOTTA WARRIORS who stand guard at the mausoleum of an Emporer. Everything was beautifully handcrafted in miniature. We meandered through the park for hours, enjoying the sights and sounds of Chinese history.

I’m sure that my blogger peeps would LOVE to see my photos of the beautiful oriental dancers who move so gracefully, appearing to be like life sized china dolls.I just love their slow and silky movements that mesmerize the onlooker.The serene expression on their faces almost make me wonder “Do you realize that you do not have free access to FACEBOOK people?!”

Next we stopped to watch a live show that depicted the fierce battles fought by chinese warriors so many years ago. Warriors were ferocious and efficient in history and the actors made a grand show of their prowess on horses and swordsmanship. The crowds loved the fierce battle re-enacted for our entertainment.How can all these people just sit here when they have been denied free access to FACEBOOK? Shouldn’t they be organising a revolt or something?

Maybe it’s just too hot here to organize a large scale revolution.Seriously people, it was so hot here that I sweat so much I never needed to use the toilet once for the entire day. I’m really glad I didn’t need to use the toilet though since a toilet in China doesn’t look like much more than a hole in the ground.

Finally, we topped off a wonderful day at the park with a live show in the grand theatre. At first the Big Guy didn’t want to pay extra for a ticket but when I told him that the theatre was air conditioned, he was totally convinced that we needed to see the show. And what a SHOW it was! I would describe it as “traditional chinese costume” meets “Las Vegas revue”. Be still my beating heart! The stage was full of FEATHERS……..PEARLS……GIANT HATS……GLITTERING GOWNS……..(#22)BEAUTIFUL LADIES………WARRIOR DANCERS……..it was all just so FABULOUS, I wanted the show to just keep on going. I couldn’t stop snapping pictures, I defied the “NO PHOTOS” signs just like the rest of the audience. We must defy stupid laws like “no photos” and “no blogger” for the good of the people! Right?! Of course right!

Tomorrow we are off to some city in the north to check out some pots for Spring so I’m not sure how good my computer connection will be. I will try hard to get my contraband posts out whenever possible. That’s how dedicated I am to my blogger peeps and the right to free speech. Everyone say “YOU GO GIRL!”


14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Did You Know That China Blocks Access to Blogger and Facebook?”

Pam Kersting said...

Tamara-- I just love to follow you on your adventures around the globe! Just curious, what brought you to China? Have a great trip!!

Lori E said...

See why they wouldn't let you have access...you are already inciting a riot.
Looks so interesting there. Be safe.

Darlene said...

What FABULOUS pictures!!!!!! You go girl!!!

Tootsie said...

seriously??? blocked? that sucks. I just thought you were having such a good time that you didn't even think about blogging....now that I think of it...that was silly of me to think wasn't it?
looks like you are having a great trip!!! love the photos!

Rosa said...

I am SO glad you were able to post!!!
Sorry I couldn't seem to make it work from here. :(
Hope things are going smoothly and that you are having a little fun as well.
Love Rosa

Nancy-Mom said...

You go girl !! Keep posting when you can but stay safe.

:: flyingstars :: said...

simply beautifully captured shots....lovely!

lynn'sgarden said...

What a wonderful experience, Tamara! Thanks for all the great photos! I love the beautiful dancers and their gowns...WOW! How was the cuisine? Did you eat anything strange?

Barb said...

Wonderful there isn't it?

My brother has lived there for about 11 yeas, and we visited a few years ago.
Reading my blog was what kept him up with all the fun things i was doing without sending separate emails to him.
Now, in the past few months, no access to my blog.

I did not read your whole story. Do you live there??

Guessing we are not the only ones missing the blog connection to China, on one end or the other.

thanks for sharing your trip

barbara jean

Marina said...

Hi Tamara! How have you been? Ow, happy grandma...your new baby is absolutely awesome!!! You must be crasy from your happiness, aren't you? My best wishes for your family which is growing day by day in a sweet way! A surprise is waiting for you at the post office...I'll say no more;)

I see you're having a great time during your journey!!! China's so different, strange (as a culture) and beautiful at the same time,isn't it? I just wish they had more freedom to several areas!

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Alles richtig so

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)