Saturday, August 1, 2009

Who Knew It Was So Easy To Sew Pillows!

Yesterday I decided to step outside my comfort zone. WAAAAAAY outside my comfort zone. I decided it was time to finally tackle those pillows I promised to sew up for my Little Angel. I haven't sat behind a sewing machine in 15 years. I was a bit nervous about it. I even tried to chicken out by phoning a friend from church for expert assistance.....but she must be on holidays 'cause she never called me back. Or maybe she thought I should be able to figure out how to sew a pillow all by myself.


You know, the minute I got my foot on the gas pedal, it was just like riding a bike. Apparently, once you know how to sew, you never forget. We knocked out pillow after pillow until every scrap of material was present and accounted for.

Would you just look at THIS?! I feel so guilty that I'm sewing these pillows when I know the Big Guy has at least 2 pairs of dress pants that are badly in need of a hem. I taped them up with duct tape a while back.......I should probably hem them once I'm done the pillows.


Now, the best part of this project is how much money we saved on having designer pillows made for the nursery. Think about it, at $30 each, the cost for 9 of these babies ordered from a designer would have cost $270........and we only spent $80. That means we made a whopping $190 by doing this project ourselves. Even better is the fact that........ WE DID IT OURSELVES!


But that is not all, blogger peeps! Oh no. My Little Angel and I also made an upholstered window bench to match. I have watched too many design shows to not attempt a simple bench......not to mention the fact that this would cost around $400 to have made at a professional shop in town. I know this because I checked. I wanted to chicken out on this project too :)


We are really trying to get this project finished as soon as possible because the Wee One is due to make an entrance soon. My Little Angel is starting to feel a bit uncomfortable, what with the summer heat and the kicking and the bumping my grand baby is doing. I think this pair is gonna make a great Ma and Pa, don't you?!


I'll leave you with a little teaser here today. If you want to see a bit more of the nursery, you'll have to come back on Monday. Make sure to stop by for Metamorphosis Monday and check out how things are looking so far!


9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Who Knew It Was So Easy To Sew Pillows!”

LovingLynden said...

I love the bench! Definitely can't wait to see the rest - what a talented bunch you are!

Lori E said...

Oh you guys I love this. Nurseries are in such nice colours nowadays. I guess in your case baby nurseries and garden nursuries.
No wonder you did so well you are constantly surrounded by nurseries.

Carol said...

The pillows are fabulous! Job well done on both projects. Love the picture of you holding the tall stack of pillows.

Rosa said...

You go girl!
I love the pictures of your little Angel and her hubby, they are beautiful.
I'll be waiting on pins and needles until Monday! :D

Blue Creek Home said...

I love this post and I love that you came over to bluecreekhome.
You guys did an amazing job. It looks like it arrived from a catalog!!
Now...redo "Big Guys" pants!!I know he would appreciate it!
Rhonda

Brenda said...

What a wonderful job you did on both the pillows and the bench, Tamara! You're sweet girl is so lucky to have a mother who takes matters into her own hands. You're going to be one fantastic grandmother!
Brenda

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Hi Tamara,
I haven't been by in awhile, so you can only imagine my delight in finding out that you will be a "Nana" soon. I would like to tell you how wonderful it will be, but there are no earthly words to describe it. I once read a bumper sticker that said, "If I'd known how fun grandchildren were, I would have had them first." : )
Anyway, the pillows here look VERY professional! You did a great job on them. Way to go!!! I can't wait to see the rest of the Nursery.
M.L.

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Awww....What a great grandma! Nice job on the pillows, too!

Do they know what they are having....or is it a sprize??

And, I cannot believe you have never seen a machete in a garden store? You've certainly seen them used (In the islands and South America) right?

Cal said...

Thanks for your visit. Great pillows and pics. Press & sew...press & sew.....it soon comes back.
Cal x