Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Scarecrow DIY


It won’t be long and the Fall season will be here. Of course, if you’re in the Retail game, Fall has already arrived. So, since we’re busy getting ourselves into the HARVEST mode AND we’re going to have a big bus tour swinging by our place in September, I thought we should start working on our displays here at Milner Gardens.

“This doesn’t have to be too difficult” I told myself. What can be so hard about stuffing a bit of straw into an old pair of pants and a shirt?
I made a trip out to my local Michaels Craft store, the nearby Fabricland and of course, the second hand store and got myself a few necessities for this little project.

For your own DIY Scarecrow, you will need the following supplies:

-straw hat
-1 meter burlap
-plastic face mask
-can of spray adhesive
-old jeans, shirt, gloves and boots
-bale of hay
-some wooden pegs to hold everything in place
And a tall glass of lemonade with a whole lot of ice to keep you cool while you work!

As I started putting things together, my Scarecrow starting looking pretty scary. Especially when it was only halfway done. Would you just look at how freaky this looks? It kinda reminded me of a slasher movie at this stage. I was getting a bit concerned that it might scare the customers off instead of bringing them in. But, I persevered. And it was HOT in the greenhouse, people. By the time I was done I was covered in hay and dirt that got stuck in all sorts of unwanted places. I think I even ruined my favourite pair of high heel shoes……..but I was happy with the finished product.

Now, only 5 or 6 more Scarecrow displays to go!

In the meantime, I sent the kids off to work in the field. There’s nothing like making your kids work on the farm in the summer to help them get a good perspective on going back to school. All that hard, physical labor makes them long to be sitting at a desk reading Shakespeare or doing Calculus, right Mini Me? How about you Danny Boneduce? Are you ready to hit the books yet?

This is our the warehouse at our original greenhouse site. We are shipping from here until our first 3 acres of mums finished at this location. I remember when this warehouse looked really big. Now it seems so tiny, what with only 2 loading bay doors and space for around 100 carts of product. It's just too small to fit everything inside.

What a great feeling to see all this product come ready and start shipping. Most definitely a blessing and a relief! And......after today........we only have125,000 more pots to go!


18 Comments »

18 Responses to “Scarecrow DIY”

Olive Rue said...

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for stopping by my blog the other day and for the sweet comment. I love the scarecrow! How fun.

Lori E said...

Good job on the scarecrow. My backyard neighbour is a special effects artist for the movies. He phoned me one day to warn me he had put up a scarecrow. The fact that it had a human face was something that may startle me he thought. Good call.

Rosa said...

Love the scarecrow idea! I may borrow it when I start to decorate for fall.
The face under the burlap is kind of creepy though!
Love the idea of putting the kids to work in the field!
Now if only I had a field. . .

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

That scarecrow is great! The plastic face mask is a brilliant idea!!

nikkicrumpet said...

HOLY COW...I can't even imagine running such a big operation. It looks so beautiful with all those mums. And your scarecrow turned out wonderfully! But I gotta say those things have always scared the bajoogies out of me!

Lori E said...

Just a quick note to say I am on my way to the Wednesday Langley market with a friend and thought I would take a chance and stop into the nursery. No worries if you aren't available.

Nicole @ BugaBoos said...

Wooohooo Fall! I cannot waitttt!

Love your scarecrow! It looks awesome! Your mums look gorgeous!

Kristi said...

Oh, my goodness! I so wish that we lived closer....it would be a dream to spend a day at your place. The scarecrow is awesome. I once made a scarecrow family, just like ours, for our front yard display. And your mums....oh my goodness!

Joy said...

Your scarecrow looks great! And the mums are gorgeous. Thanks for the reminder that my favorite time of year is just around the corner.

The Bargainista said...

oh how fun for fall!!

Frugal Fine Living said...

I love your scarecrow! It's nice to see the fall displays going up. It's my favorite time of year!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jane

Darlene said...

I LOVE the scarecrow and I am SOOOO ready for fall temperatures!!! It is my favorite time of year. LOVE seeing all of your beautiful plants.

I seem to have missed visiting you for quite a while so I am adding you to my favorite blogs. That way I won't miss a thing!♥

A Hint of Home said...

I love how you did the scarecrow. I hadn't thought of using a plastic mask and covering it the way you did. It turned out so cute.
I'll have to get some of those props. Thanks for sharing and for your kind remarks on my blog today.

Kitty Scraps said...

Hi Tamara,
Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment! I love your scarecrow DIY tutorial, good job! He looks so cute, perfect for fall yard displays. I may have to try to make one now that you've shown me how *smiles*

Kimm at Reinvented said...

LOVE the scarecrow! Thanks for linking up a great fall project. Please remember to link back to REINVENTED in your post so that your readers can check out all of the projects! :)

Becky said...

Great scarecrow! Great farm! I love you attitude about making the kids work so they will be ready to go back to school :) Ha!

BTW, my mom has a Santa Claus that she made in much the same way, and she sits him on the rocker on the front porch for the entire season. She gets more visitors that way. Sometimes she puts him in her car in the passenger seat and goes through the drive in for a snack. Laughter galore!

I love your scarecrow. I hope he welcomes everyone with a smile.

Joyce said...

I had to laugh because that scarecrows face was a bit freaky:) I can't wait for the Mums to arrive here in GA as they are so pretty and your greenhouse is amazing. Now the kids working before going to back to school is a good thing:)
Joyce

ceekay said...

wow...you have quite the farm?? The flowers are wonderful! I just love flowers. The scarecrow is fantastic! Thanks for the lesson. Have a great weekend!