Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The History of My Addictions


Today may or may not be my birthday. I refuse to confirm or deny that fact at this time......but my big sister Rosa, seen here on the left, felt it was her duty to walk me down memory lane today. It's her gift to me. What have you done, Rosa?

http://rose-gardendiary.blogspot.com/2009/08/sisters-and-birthdays.html

Rosa posted some really OLD photos of us today.......so I pulled out my photos album too. I haven't looked at these pictures in a while. I was studying this shot of my 1st birthday and it suddenly dawned on me. Would you look at what I got for my birthday? It's a telephone! This is it......this is the moment my career in sales began......I wonder if my mother knew that this single birthday present would change the shape of my future forever? My love affair with the telephone has never waned.

Here I am on my 4th birthday. I remember every thought that was going through my mind on this day. First of all, I thought I was pretty "hot" in this gorgeous, floral print designer dress. The designer, my mom, chose this colorful print to set of the blond tones in my hair. I LOVED that dress. I cried the day my mom threw it out. This is it.......this is the moment my love affair with clothes began.......I wonder if my mother knew that her choice of dress would forever affect my bank account? My love affair with fashion has never faltered.

Here I am, a few months later. This is another "Aha!" moment in my life. My stylist, aka MOM, decided to give me a bouffant hairdo. She teased and combed my thin, lifeless hair into the highest pile possible for a 5 year old. I thought I was Marilyn Monroe standing out there on the front lawn. This is it......this is the moment my love affair with style took flight. I think I'll have to blame my Mother for everything. It's all her fault that I'm such a stylish babe these days!

Here's another pivotal moment in my life. This is me on a bus. Mom worked full time as a nurse one summer so she sent me and my little brother on long bus ride to visit some distant relatives for the holidays. Clearly this is it........this is the moment the travel bug bit me. Seriously Mom, couldn't you have picked a less costly addiction for your daughter?

And, just in case you're wondering where I got my addiction to flowers from.......guess who sent me a dozen ROSES for my birthday?! Thanks Mom, I Love you too :)


22 Comments »

22 Responses to “The History of My Addictions”

tupperwaregal said...

Happy Birthday, Tammy, Hope you have a wonderful day. I never realized that your birthday was a day after mine.
Adalia

Colleen said...

Happy Birthday!
I enjoyed both yours and Aunty Rosa's posts!

Tootsie said...

happy birthday friend!!! Loved taking that trip down memory lane with you!

Evelyn in Canada said...

That buffant hairdo makes me giggle. I love that. The things people do to their kids. (I'm sure my kids will say the same about what I'm currently doing to them...)

Happy birthday, Tamara!

Darlene said...

Happy, HAPPY Birthday...hope you have had a WONDERFUL day!

MelD said...

Congrats on your birthday Tam! Hope you and your family have a great day! Who knows maybe your first grandbaby and you will share a birthday???!!!

momofcrt said...

Happy 41st birthday Tamara!! I have some fond memories of when you visited us way back when, sitting on the swings in the backyard making up songs.....

Lori E said...

Hippo Birdies to Ewe as my friend likes to say. Even though it may not be your Birdie today.

What a cute post. Just remember that if it was all your Mom's fault then your children can blame you for all their foibles.

I was walking very smuggly through Costco today and I am sure you know why.

ceekay said...

Happy Birthday and thanks for visiting my blog!!

Kristi said...

Happy birthday! May the Lord completely bless your socks off today!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

We can blame a lot of good stuff on our moms, huh? Thanks for stopping by the party today! :)

Rosa said...

I remember that flowered dress as well.
There is another picture of you posing by a chair showing of all your lovely plastic jewlery which I had hoped to find as it is SO you!
And the HAIR! Who knew that hair could be made to stand so high!!
lol
Happy Birthday.

trash talk said...

What an adorable little girl you were and what an adorable post!
I think we should just blame everything right down to our shoe size, on our mothers! Who's with me?
Happy birthday, although I'm not saying it's your birthday, but when it is, read this again.
Debbie

A Hint of Home said...

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you! I know you don't want to hear me sing the rest. lol
What cute pictures and I'm sure wonderful memories.
I hope you had a good day!
Let us know when the baby arrives.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Happy Birthday darling, how sweet of your mother to send the roses. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, these were priceless. I wish I had pictures of my earlier childhood, but there are "none" and that's quite sad don't you think? Love the Marilyn Monroe look.. this was just too much fun... hugs ~lynne~

DesignTies said...

I had the exact same phone when I was a kid :-) Although it seems to have had the opposite effect on me -- I try to avoid phones as much as possible!!

At least your mom gave you relatively harmless addictions :-)

Hope you had a good birthday :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

LovingLynden said...

I loved going down memory lane with you!
I have a few good ones of you too - you always
had such a good imagination and we loved having
you over. I hope you have a wonderful birthday and may you be blessed with many more happy healthy years!

Becky said...

This is great! And what adorable pictures. I hope you had a very happy birthday.

Beth's Blog said...

Happy Birthday!

Isn't it fun to look down memory lane now and again!
Beth

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I missed your birthday~ but those photos were to cute not to comment.
Hope you had a happy day!

Cote de Texas said...

That hairdo - what a crackup !! I have a professional picture of me taken at one with a play telephone to my ear!!!!!!!!! too funny!!!! grammaw - you look too young to be a grandmother!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post as for me. I'd like to read something more about that theme. Thanx for sharing this information.