Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hello Kitty Cake Pops - DIY


The Wee One popped in at my place yesterday to discuss details about the big party we’re throwing in her honor. I needed her opinion on what color scheme to go with. We really had a great chat. "How about all PINK?!"
Hmmmm, think, think, THINK! After a short brainstorming session, interupted by a feeding break and diaper change, we decided to go with Yellow and Green. Our theme is gonna be RUBBER DUCKIES. It seems I have my work cut out for me this week!

We had a tough time deciding on what to put on the menu. Should we have light finger foods and cake……or should we go a little over the top? I suggested that maybe we should go outside our comfort zone and do a little BAKING. I am confident that I can DIY some cupcakes and things! Especially since I found BAKERELLA’S blog and all of her super cute creations. She makes baking look so fun and easy that I have a hankering to make something wonderful!
http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2009/02/here-kitty-kitty.html

I threw the idea out to Celina. “What would you say to HELLO KITTY Cake Pops, sweetheart?” I’ll take that as a YES!

So, after a 15 year baking HIATUS, I dusted off the old cake pans and got to work. I will admit, BAKERELLA makes this CAKE POP thing look a whole lot easier to do on her blog than it is in real life. It took me a while to figure out that the dough rolls into smooth balls better if you keep your hands clean…….and that you CAN overheat candy melts if you leave them too long in the microwave. I also learned that working with delicious things like cream cheese icing and white chocolate chips can lead to uncontrollable finger licking! But, how on earth is a Gramma my age supposed to work with such tiny little candies? My hand-eye coordination is just not what it used to be.

Once I finally figured out how to not BURN the dipping chocolate and keep the pops cold while working with them, I managed to knock out 2 whole HELLO KITTY Cake Pops…….and it was only 2:30 am!

Here’s to hoping my cake decorating skills improve quickly ‘cause I’ve got an army of RUBBER DUCKY and HELLO KITTY Cake Pops to finish before Sunday!

Make sure to stop by A Soft Place to Land for DIY Day where you find all sorts of people doing all sort of things ALL BY THEMSELVES!


11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Hello Kitty Cake Pops - DIY”

Lori E said...

This is too funny. I remember reading comments from people who had tried the whole cake pop thing after Bakerella was over at the Pioneer Woman's place.
They were not pretty stories. I think it is like the person who shares their secret recipe but leaves out some key ingredients so no one else can make it as well as they can.
Can't wait to see how the icing of the duckies goes.

Tootsie said...

OMG Tamara!!!! she is super cute!!!! I think green and yellow are a great choice as she is pink pink pink!!!! she is such a beautiful baby.
have tones of fun with that baking...you are doing a better job than I would be!!!

Somewhere in time said...

Congratulations..She's beautiful.

Darlene said...

Oh, you are funny!!! I am like LoriE. I remember seeing blogs talking about trying to make those cake pops and they were not as easy (AT ALL) as they sound. Your Hello Kitties are adorable and I wish you luck on the ducks!!

Lynnette Kraft said...

Ahhhh! What a sweet new baby! She is precious. I love the Hello Kitty cake pops! You ARE quite ambitious!

Congratulations Grandma!

Junk Mammas said...

These are very cute- just had a Hello Kitty party for my 6 year old.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! All those years of "I can't do that!" You've been holding out on me...Thanksgiving and Christmas and Easter..Oh, and my birthday are all at your house this year!!! Celina is a blessed little girl. I don't think even your children kew you could bake! Have fun..and we'll see you Sunday> Love Great Aunt Lisa

Rosa said...

I AM SO IMPRESSED!!!
If I was just a little closer I would be rolling cake like a maniac right beside you!
Hmmm. . .
Maybe I DO need to rethink this Kaslo thing. . . lol
Great Aunty Rosa :)

Saucy said...

The grandbaby is surely cuter than the cupcake pops but the cupcake pops are gorgeous, so there you go! Cute upon cute.

You really took on the pops in high order - the Hello Kitty ones no less. You did a good job, because they aren't as easy as Bakerella and Martha make them look.

Tamara Jansen said...

Yes Lisa, the kids were completely astonished last night when I came home from the greenhouse with 20 cupcakes and 3 chocolate cakes. They all said "Was aunty Lisa here?" and "How is it possible?!".

15 years of no baking is a long, long time :)

Evelyn in Canada said...

What do you mean by "..a gramma my age.."!!! If you ask me, you shouldn't be a gramma for another 10 years! You're pretty darn young to be anyone's grandma (and Celine will be grateful for that at a later date).