Wednesday, July 29, 2009

It's Only 150 Days Till Christmas


Have you noticed that I haven’t been posting much about the greenhouses lately. I think I’ve been subconsciously avoiding it. It’s summer time…….I’m on holidays. Posting about work cramps my vacation style.

Well, I’m back in the office today and excited to tell you about what’s going on at the greenhouse on this OUTDOOR WEDNESDAY. Believe it or not, we are starting to ship our fall mum crop starting next week. Yes, you read that right……. I said “Garden Mums”! Would you just look at this gorgeous field full of color?! I’m always impressed how things just keep clicking along at the farm whether or not we are here or not. These babies were busy growing like weeds while we were out gallivanting on the lake in Osoyoos. My greenhouse peeps are just the BEST!

Now, if the idea that you will soon see a FALL garden mum at your local garden center gives you a panic attack, just take a gander at THESE babies! Can you believe that it’s only 150 days to CHRISTMAS?!

I gotta tell you, though, by the time I was finished taking all these pictures out there in the greenhouse, I was sweatin' up a storm. I mean, it’s HOT out there in the greenhouse people. Would you LOOK at the temperature?!Say a little prayer for us horticulture workers ‘cause if you think it’s hot at your place, try imagine how hot it is in a glass greenhouse!

Now, I’ve gotta go home and see if the fridge is available. I will probably have to kick Mini Me out of there so I can take my afternoon nap!

Don’t forget to stop on by A Southern Daydreamer to see what’s going on outside during this Outdoor Wednesday. Just click this link or more fun posts


8 Comments »

8 Responses to “It's Only 150 Days Till Christmas”

LovingLynden said...

Great idea Mini Me!
It is so unbearably hot I might just have to give that a try - thanks for the idea!
I saw those Mums in our Costco (Bellingham) already. That usually signals back to school for me and I'm just not ready for that yet!

Cal said...

Thank you for dropping by my blog Tamara. I've enjoyed reading your. Looks like you have a lot of work there and it's all so neat and flourishing. And the refrigerator pics made me laugh. I wish we could have a bit of your sunshine. We're having the worse summer for years. Daily rain or misty drizzle and no letting up. I feel so sorry for the families on holiday here.

Cal x

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

No...no...no. I don't want to see mums yet or, heaven forbid, poinsettias. Is it hard to enjoy your summer while all the while thinking in retail terms of holidays months a head of time? I have a very hard time doing it. I was making Halloween things for my website this week...fun ...but I have a hard time getting my creative juices flowing. I am excited that my neighbor is putting in a little greenhouse on her property. She lives here in Va. 6 months of the year and CA. 6 months, so that means I will be taking care of her greenhouse while she is gone. I am excited to be starting little spring plants in the winter. Should be an adventure. xo Lynn P.S. Stay COOL!

Rosa said...

Wow! Those mums are looking great!
I don't want to think about the pointsettias though! lol
Hope you had a great vacation. :)

Tootsie said...

well I hope you are shipping some of those mums to me!!! The ones I tried to buy last year looked like crap in a pot! (I am sure they were not your stuff....) I will be looking for the darvonda name this year lady!!!

Tootsie said...

thanks! when I can get there I for sure will!!!

Evelyn in Canada said...

You are always WAY ahead of the way the seasons play out in my head. July is our only real summer month (you know, without frost) and I don't even want to think about fall yet, let alone December!

And that's why I always miss your plants at Costco. I'm still in summer mode when you are shipping for fall. Bummer!

Lori E said...

You must be watering non stop out there.
A lady I know just collapsed from heat stroke in a wholesale nursery greenhouse on your side of the bridge two days ago.
I will wait a little longer before coming out to visit you in the oven.