Thursday, July 23, 2009

I'm Missing all The Comforts of Home!

Why exactly do we North American’s go camping anyway? I mean, what is the deal with driving away from all the luxuries of home to sit in a tent with no modern amenities like running water, flush toilets and cable television. Why exactly do we think this is FUN? And why is it that so many of us choose to be HOOKED ON CAMPING summer after summer?
Is it the exciting annual vehicle breakdown in the middle of nowhere that helps us wind down from our daily stress filled lives………?

Or could it be that we love to squeeze our motorhomes onto a spot the size of a postage stamp, righ beside that rickety old picnic table which gives us a butt slivers every time we sit down…….?

Perhaps it’s the adrenaline rush we get from being pulled behind a speed boat going 50 kilometers an hour until we’re unceremoniously thrown head over tea kettle into the lake…….?

Maybe it’s the challenge of cooking a wholesome meal for 6 on a barbecue built for 2……?

It’s possible that we just love the challenge of finding a road side stand that has some edible fresh fruit that will help keep us old folks on a regular schedule……?

Or is it those rainy, windy days we love the most? There's just nothing like trying to keep the tarps and tents from blowing away into the lake, now is there?

But maybe it’s just the fact that camping gives us a chance to sit back and relax. Take time to think about the BIG PICTURE. Perhaps we’re hooked on camping because it gives us an opportunity to do away with all the clutter of our busy modern lives and just appreciate the little things that really count like.......family.

Check out what else is going on this HOOKED ON FRIDAY. Click here http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/07/23/hooked-on-outdoor-dining/


13 Comments »

13 Responses to “I'm Missing all The Comforts of Home!”

Tootsie said...

my husband has a satellite t.v. in the 5thwheel...yes...he does. It is just plain sad!
when we go camping it is often not so far away that I can't water if I need to. I also have a very wonderful friend that waters some for me if I ask nicely...lol
I spend about 30 minutes a day watering...and about 2 hours a week weeding or mowing grass. I don't spend a lot of time working in the beds...I mostly just piddle around and re-arrange and try to figure out how I will build the new beds and try to convince my husband they have been there for years!! lol
I am flattered that you like my yard You guys have seen so many wonderful displays of blooms...that it is truly a compliment.
I am proud most years as they all come straight from a seed...in my little house!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What wonderful memories you are making. Your photos make me feel as if I'm right there. But I have to admit I've never camped and I'm not sure I'd take a liking to it..lol... I've sure enjoyed your adventures..hugs ~lynne~

Lori E said...

Okay since when does camping include a blender and margaritas? I'm just asking.
I long for the fruit stand of beautiful British Columbia though.

Rosa said...

Now that the kids are big/out of the house, I'm off the hook for the whole camping thing. They either go with their friends of just Henry.
Part of me misses the memories you make though.
Mind you, I don't miss the rain, wind and flying tarps! ;)

Terry said...

We avoid camping at all times. But being out in the world with family builds the relationships at least until you start getting on each other's nerves. Great pictures.

HiHo said...

everybody looks so happy.must be all that fresh air. LOL!

LovingLynden said...

Nice post!
We didn't have any of those windy or cloudy days. If you drive 10 minutes further you'd have much better than a postage stamp sized place to park! No hook-ups though.....

Rue said...

Hi Tamara :)

I loved going out on the lake as a kid and now looking back, even the not so fun stuff makes for great story telling. Some of the best times of my childhood :)

rue

Arthur said...

Are you guys still there ? We went to John and Shonas' site in Osoyoos, stateside yesterday, thought about you as we went past the Canadian site but figured you'd be gone. Should have emailed you cause it would have been easy to stop by for a coffee. :o(

Nancy-Mom said...

Weird ! that last comment was from me, not Arthur. Looks like our son-in-law sent someone a comment on their blog while we were out yesterday and he never signed off :o(

Knittin 'n Stitchin said...

Do you really think you're camping?
I mean, I appreciate how fun it is to get down in the motorhome...heck, my parents used to do it all the time...but it's not camping.
If you want to have some real fun, get a dog, a tent (if you have to, it's better SANS tent), some logs and, okay, break down and bring matches, and your kids. Go to a National Park (one that hasn't been shut down yet) and CAMP. Make a bonfire, roast marshmellows or roast hot dogs. AND CAMP. Go poop behind a tree, swim in a lake, go on a hike...learn about, oh here it comes, NATURE. It's so much fun without the RV..try it, I swear you will love it!

Rosa said...

ROTFL!!!!
Oh my, Knittin n Stitchin, as Tamara's sister I have to tell you that the mental image of her camping that way had ME in stitches!
And then the DOG!
Hahahahahahahaha!
Sorry Tam. . .
:D

antigoni said...

You can't imagine how much i enjoyed your photos. My hubby and i were talking about having vacations by motorhome. We love it.
Maybe next year. This is a difficult year for us.
I adore the things you bought for the baby.