Thursday, July 9, 2009

How to Mix Romance and Business

Are you HOOKED on ROMANCE? Have your ever thought to yourself "I wish my husband was just a little more romantic"? Do you occasionaly wonder what life would be like if it wasn't ALL business and NO romance? Would it be soooo difficult for your special someone to think up some romantic getaway that's just about the TWO of you?


Well my blogger peeps, I may have had the above thoughts flitter through my mind on occasion. I may even have voiced my secret wish aloud. Please don't judge me! I know I shouldn't even think that way since I am so VERY BLESSED. I'm working on my weaknesses :)
Well, suddenly last week, the Big Guy decided it was time to surprise me by whisking us away to Victoria on Vancouver Island for our anniversary.


Since I had a whole lot of kids staying at my place for the big String Camp event, we could only squeeze out a little bit of time for ourselves. That meant the Big Guy bought us tickets to....... FLY........ to Vancouver Island with Harbour Air which lands you directly into Victoria Habour. He planned for us to spend just the day there so we could fly back and be home to chaperone my billets for the evening. What a sweetheart, that Big Guy!



Now, not only did the Big Guy want to spend a romantic day meandering about the streets of Victoria, stopping to shop in whatever store that caught my fancy........but he wanted to take High Tea at the Empress. Oh, my baby LOVES me! He hates shopping and hoity toity restaurants. He hates pushy sales ladies and shops that smell heavily of perfume. He can't stand not being able to put his finger into the handle of the tea cup but he wanted to make this day special for ME! Isnt' that just too romantic?!




So, we meandered and discovered all sorts of things, including stopping in at a few customers like Brown's the Florist, Gardenworks and Harry's Flowers. I didn't even know that Harry's Flower's was one of our customers. Look at how great this planter is looking down at Harry's. We sure did a great job planting that up, didn't we?




We also stumbled onto this lovely boutique called French Vanilla where I bought 2 pillows for my living room. Sheila, the owner, sent them by Greyhound to Langley for me so we didn' have to lug them all over town on our special day. Isn't her store gorgeous?! She even has a blog http://frenchvanillahome.blogspot.com/




If you've never been to Victoria, you really should find a way to visit one day. The Empress Hotel is a beautiful, grand old hotel, overlooking the harbour. The gardens are pristine and the decor is very old school elegant. The finger sandwiches were DELICIOUS!




At the end of our day we hopped back on our plane, stuffing our purchases in the cargo hold, and flew back home. Hey, check out the Darvonda Head Office location.......what a great view. Looks like we've got most of the Fall Garden mums spaced out in the back 15 acres. We should do this more often, Big Guy. That was a lot of fun!


Oh, and I bought one more thing while we were out. Can you guess what it might be? Don't forget to check out what everyone else is Hooked on this Friday. Pop over to Hooked on Houses http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/07/09/hooked-on-personalized-canvas-art/


9 Comments »

9 Responses to “How to Mix Romance and Business”

Tootsie said...

lucky ---or should I say SPOILED girl!!! Looks like you guys had a great time...what a nice guy to suffer thru all that girl stuff!!!
It looks like you had a great day...all smiling and cheery looking!
How's your weather? It has been cool and raining here now for almost 5 days....I am so sick of the dreary weather that I can hardly wait for tomorrow when the sun is supposed to be coming out...and to think I was getting bored of my garden already!!!!

Claudia said...

What a great husband - a romantic, lovely day away! Looks like you had a great time!

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

I'm so glad you had such a lovely day! Victoria is a very romantic city - I took my hubby there a few years ago for the Tall Ship festival in June, we stayed at the Empress, and he even had tea with me, too! We have great guys!

BTW, the owner of French Vanilla bought that lovely white bench in your photo from US (Retreat)at the Farm Chicks show in June!!! Her shop is darling...would you mind if I borrowed your two photos of it to post on our blog?

Deb
http://retreatdesign.blogspot.com

Chandra said...

Eek! I just read this article today, and immediately thought of your romantic getaway. Glad you made it home safe!! :o)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/07/10/richmond-plane-crash.html

Sheila Stone said...

Thanks Tamara for the kind words and lovely pictures of my store when you visited last week. I'm glad your happy with the cushions you purchased. It was nice that you were able to get away if only for a day! Victoria really is the city of gardens and since your in the business it was a good fit!!
Hope to see you again on another visit. By the way I love your blog!

Rosa said...

How in the world did you manage to buy new glasses in one day?!
And I am SO jealous. . .
:)
Glad you had such a great anniversary.

Porch Days said...

It looks like you had a fantastic time! What a great guy to do all that for you.

once in a blue moon... said...

happy belated bday, what a great time for you, lucky gal, love and romance, woo hoo! victoria is a fav place of mine too, a dream getaway~

pk @ room remix said...

That is so awesome! I love the photos too. Makes me want to visit there.