Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hooked on Camping

Yup! We’re off to the lake this week. I just LOVE camping. I am totally HOOKED on CAMPING. I love the bugs and dust. I love the public showers and loud drinking parties. What’s summer without at least one week at the lake, right?

Now, it’s always a bit stressful trying to get away from the greenhouse. Emails need to be sent, questions need to be answered. But once we leave the property, all our stress just starts to drain away. The mountain drive is so tranquil and relaxing……..

Woah! Wait a minute…….what’s this? Don’t tell me we’ve broken down in the middle of nowhere. No cell reception. No tool box. No nothing?! No PROBLEM! The Big Guy will figure out the problem just like that. I have firm confidence in his abilities.

Uh, this is not looking very good. I’ve never seen this part of the engine before……it’s looking a little less than ideal.

I’ll just send the kids off to take some pictures and go exploring. We’ll make this into an adventure. The Big Guy will have this little problem fixed in no time and we’ll be right back on our way.

Hmmmmm! This is not looking too good. I think it’s time I rethink this camping idea. I’m beginning to feel a little bit of stress. Mechanical failure always causes me to assume the fetal position in the middle of the highway.

“How’s it lookin’ under there, honey? Did you do an oil change before we left? How about adding water to the radiator? Maybe if we kick the tires it will fix itself?”

Can you guess what the problem was in the end?

It was just a simple problem of a vacuum in the gas tank. All he had to do was unscrew the gas cap and VOILA! We were back on the road.

I followed behind in my sweet new ride with my Sirius radio blaring Beethoven’s 5th symphony and Opera Diva by my side. I am so glad she came along with me because she was just phenomenal company!

The whole family is here.........minus junior, but he’ll be here a little later. So, if you don’t mind, I’ve gotta go because my ride is here……

Now, don’t forget to check out what everyone else is hooked on this Friday. Just stop on by Hooked on Houses for lots of fun posts. Click http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/07/16/hooked-on-nancy-drew-mysteries/


23 Comments »

23 Responses to “Hooked on Camping”

tupperwaregal said...

I'm jealous, i Love camping too, and i haven't been since we moved to Ontario. I used to go canmping with Leona and Martin and the kids. I miss it. Have a great time.
Adalia

Terry said...

Glad y'all got back on the road. Please give your highest award to your Big Guy.

I've been under our vehicle on remote roadsides on our vacations. One was on a 95 degree day on a gnat infested south Georgia roadside. The family had so much confidence in me. Somehow we get rolling again. I still have the stress. It was a really bad day.

Rosa said...

`My girls would kill me if I posted a picture of them sleeping! lol
Enjoy your holiday!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!! If only people knew how much you are longing for a Fairmont hotel on the edge of the lake!!! Looks like you"re having fun in spite of the roughing it...miss you much, Lisa

Maya said...

I grew up camping (with my parents in Spain and France) and even went camping on my honeymoon 13 years ago!

siteseer said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, our wave petunias actually do have a fragrance. My Mom has two by her entry door and there is nothing else there so it has to be the petunias. Anywhoo, love your story about the beginning of your camping trip. We too are campers and I too really stress when there's a problem. Glad you got it figured out and got back on the road. WE're heading out tomorrow for a FMCA Rally in Bowling Green Ohio. Lots of fun and lots of learning.

Claudia said...

I love camping - used to do it all the time! Canoeing - now that is my favorite thing of all - oh, for a quiet lake and a canoe! Have a great time!

Donna@designson47thstreet said...

What cute pictures of your camping trip. I just sat here and giggled over the pictures, especially the one you caught sleeping. Too funny. Thanks so much for your visit to my blog today. The gerns. were not the seed variety. Like you, I don't like to mess with those either. OUr season is also too short. Here your business is the real flowers while my business is the faux variety. I also like gardening with the real thing too!

Jen said...

Visiting from Hooked on Fridays! I am going camping next week and am packing today. We will be heading to a beautiful lake and hopefully no mechanical problems. SMORES and tinfoil dinners are the best! Glad you were able to get back on the road, looks like you had a lot of fun.

Lori E said...

I detest camping even when we had a motor home. I am such a city girl. Okay the drinking parties I can handle but the rest. Uh no.
Now we have a cabin and I can barely stand to be there more that one night.
Glad you got the vapour lock thing fixed even if the whole motor got a once over first.
Have fun. I will be thinking of you camping...shudder...

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

I think that if I had wireless, and air conditioning, I might be enjoying camping also.
Have a great time, roast some marshmallows and count the stars.

Jen

lynn'sgarden said...

ROFL! Fun post, Tamara! My favorite is the photo of hubby's legs from under the camper! We're looking at renting a cabin on the lake for vacation..a little step up from camping..lol. Thanks for your visit!
lynn

Darla said...

Great post, glad it wasn't a big problem.

once in a blue moon... said...

great post, glad you are on the road again~

LovingLynden said...

You make me laugh! There's never a dull moment for you is there?
And poor opera diva - I bet she's going to get you back for that picture!
I hope you have a fun time! Maybe we'll run into you - we're heading out to Osoyoos tomorrow (and it's promising to be HOT!)

Saucy said...

Have a great weekend, sorry we missed you in Vancouver, but you were... otherwise occupied it appears. Trust the Big Guy to get you moving again!

Nancy-Mom said...

Kal lake or Okanagan ? You might be looking at us?

Emily said...

Camping IS a lot of fun! That motorhome brings back memories of the long drive to Cali & reading books to the kids :) Looks like it's served you well...until this little incident :)

Tootsie said...

this is a super cute post!!! Have fun!

Nancy-Mom said...

Would you all like to come for lunch tomorrow ? One way or another I should be able to get hold of you :o)

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Oh you are too funny.. to turn a semi-breakdown into something fun.. However, something tells me he didn't think it was so much fun...Have a great time camping...
hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Aunt Nancey, if you need Tams cell number, just give me a call, Lisa

Lori E said...

Oh man Tamara I didn't even think of stopping in. Not that you were there anyways.
I will definitely come for a tour soon.
I spend a lot of time in garden centres. (read that as $$$) I am sure I have put several retailers kids through college.
We did have a shopping packed day though and I was just posting about it when your comment came in.
Hope you are enjoying the heat and not near any of the wild fires.