Sunday, June 14, 2009

Metamorphosis of a Baby Nursery - phase 1


It's imperative that I clarify a very important piece of information for all my blogger peeps out there. It seems that I may have accidentally given the wrong impression in my last post on Decorating a Dream Nursery, Gramma Style. I need to clarify that we do not know the gender of my new grand baby, whom we hope to meet in real life this August. In fact, we do NOT know the gender of the "wee one". All that pink stuff in my previous DREAM post may have been slightly misleading. So.............today's Metamorphosis post is about the REAL nursery colors. This is a nursery that is in a state of METAMORPHOSIS. It's part way to becoming a calm oasis for baby and mommy to cuddle and bond.


My little Angel has allready gotten a coat of primer on all the walls, believe it or not. She let me come shopping with her to pick paint colors last week at Home Depot. What FUN!


I feel badly for our local Home Depot though, since the paint associate was very stressed and managed to mix all of our 3 paint colors up. He wasted so much paint, I feel just awful! We wanted a can of BEHR in Applesauce yellow, a can of CIL in Precious Jasper and a quart in a lighter green......
Or was it a can of CIL in Applesauce yellow and a can of Precious Jasper in BEHR. The first 3 cans all came out in Precious Jasper and one actually exploded in the paint spinner. By the time we left, they had mixed 6 cans incorrectly!


The nursery is being decorated to match this lovely baby quilt my daughter bought.She's going for a Safari theme, baby style. Mini Me is going to help with the art work and my son-in-law's handy-man father is hopefully going to build a wall unit and window bench.


We ladies are going to attempt to make matching cushions and throw pillows in color-coordinated fabrics. Sewing is a bit outside my comfort zone but........I'm always up for a challenge!


Last night I spent hours surfing the web looking for suitable stuffed animals that would tie in with the safari decor. I found this DARLING Giraffe that I think would suit the paint and the theme just perfectly.


How about this darling Lion?Isn't he just ADORABLE?


I searched for so long to find a Monkey that was soft and cuddly and finally found this one. Believe me, there are some amazingly realistic looking stuffed Monkeys out there that would be sure to scare the diaper off any new born.

Now, I love this green frog back pack but I can't remember if there was a frog on the quilt.

I'm getting old enough to be a GRAMMA so my memory isn't as good as it used to be.


And if we DID know the gender of "wee one" was a boy, I would definately, definately buy this cute-as-a-button blue lion by GUND.....or was it Cuddlekin?Can anyone out there tell me if they had the same symptoms as me when they found out they were going to be a GRAMMA? Is it normal to:


-Surf the web till all hours of the night looking for nursery items?

-Shop for baby clothes?

-Dream of paint colors all night long?

-Check out Baby Swap Meets for high chairs and Playpens?


I have decided that my symptoms simply mean that the little "wee one" is already the love of our lives! Come on, all you Gramma's, back me up on this one!


Don't forget to check out Between Naps on the Porch for all the Metamorphosis going on out there this week. It's so much fun to see what everyone is up to out there! Just click here
http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2009/06/welcome-to-22nd-metamorphosis-monday.html


21 Comments »

21 Responses to “Metamorphosis of a Baby Nursery - phase 1”

Tootsie said...

I love that monkey...here's a tip...if you are like me...and NOT AN ARTIST....I just found a pic in a coloring book...scanned it onto the computer...and printed it onto transparency paper...then used the overhead projector...and finally colored it in with acrylic paint! It was super easy....but looks hard! lol
The theme is fun and the colors cheerful...have lots of fun with this!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What a sweet room. Lucky baby.

Shelia said...

OH, congratulations on your new grandbaby in August! Your daughter is precious and I love the theme for the baby's room. Just darling!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

marty39 said...

You are so normal and it would be such a shame if you didn't feel this excited. I have 12 grands and 1 great-grand, and I'm just as excited with each one. You are in for the most thrilling times of your life. What a blessing. Hugs, Marty

MelD said...

I think Abby is in disbelief that her pink and purple room is GONE! She was just telling me a day or two ago that she misses her walls in her old room. The morning we moved she actually said goodbye to them! I promised her we would come check out her old room when the new baby arrives to see how beautiful it looks now!

Jenny said...

How sweet! I love the colors, and the stuffed giraffe is absolutely the best. August will be here before you know it.

tupperwaregal said...

I love the nursery theme, what a wonderful idea. And i don't think you are the only Grandma to be excited about a grandbaby. Have fun helping with the decorating and August will be here soon. It's a great month since it is my birthday month, lol.
Adalia

Barb~Bella Vista said...

I love that you are excited...so wonderful and inspiring. Everything looks great.

Barb

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

It's going to be a beautiful nursery for your sweet g'baby, Tamara!!

Taiya said...

Well, I am the mommy of the grand baby in our situation, but I can guarantee you that those things are all things that my mom did in preparation for her first(and only so far) grand baby. Congrats on being a Gramma!

niartist said...

This is just too cute for words!~ I can't wait to see it finished!

Nancy-Mom said...

The first thing I did when each of our daughters/in law informed us they were expecting their first little one, was to go out, buy, and present them with some newborn undershirts,sleepers, or whatever, just to make the whole idea of a baby coming a reality with all this tenie tiny stuff. Oh such fun just too bad that most of them were a long ways from us :o(
Enjoy the time :o)

Derrick & Jeanette said...

It's great that you are so excited. My Mom has 15 grandchildren and is still buying for them. She can't resist and I(we) certainly don't mind! My Mom is also very creative and loves to make sweaters etc for her grandchildren. I'm sure the excitement won't dwindle. Enjoy it! It's great to be able to be excited!

Rosa said...

What fun! I love the colours and the theme.
As to what happens when you become a grandma. . .
I'm not even close to knowing about that yet! lol

Cass @ That Old House said...

I think knowing you are going to have a grandchild must be the MOST exciting thing in the world!!! I'm looking forward to it, someday -- Oh I hope!

The nursery is going to be adorable!
Cass
ps Not your fault the HD paint guy was not up to the task of mixing paint for 2 lovely ladies!

Lori E said...

The baby quilt is such a great starting point. I have been searching for years to find a replica of the raccoon one my eldest son had as a baby. He just loved his quilt.
I don't have or expect grandchildren any time soon but I keep trying to find this particular pattern.

Nola @ the Alamo said...

I've been on vacation, I missed the first post. I 'bout flipped when I saw the title of this one! Okay, NOW I understand, Gramma (not mama)!

LdyDy said...

The colors you have chosen are going to look great. I love your inspiration quilt...too cute!! From one gammy to another...it's pure heaven to hold the little "wee one". Mine is 5 years old...but he still climbs onto my lap and pretends to be my little "wee one"! Congrats to you and your daughter! Huggy Hugs!

Jen said...

that stuff is sooooo cute.

Anonymous said...

Someone warned my husband that there is a "grandma gene" that kicks in when grandchildren are on the way! It was so true! Love every minute of it....it goes even faster than raising our own children! It is heaven being a "nana"! Toni

Brenda said...

Yep, it is the "grandma for the first time" syndrome. You get better when the second one comes; slightly.
Brenda