Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hooked on Industry Luncheon's

I bet you never thought about the fact that there are meetings going on in North America right now that will affect your buying for next year.........people are picking and choosing what will sell at your local garden center in 2010 while you are sitting in your back yard, enjoying a beer and grilling a burger on the barbecue. Today was one of those days. Today is a day that I was really HOOKED on Industry Luncheon's like the one hosted by Ball Horticulture this afternoon.

I wish you could have all come with me but we only had 4 spots booked. Since I wasn't able to invite everyone, I figured I'd take a whole bunch of pictures and blog about it for all my blogger peeps.

The luncheon was organized by an international plant seller, Ball Horticultural, for area growers to check out the varieties that are new to the market. The focus was on flowers with excellent garden performance. Just look at these amazing planters that were spread out around the yard. It's enough to make you wanna stay home this summer instead of going to the lake, just so you can enjoy the show!

Ball is the supplier for the very wonderful brand of petunia's called Potunia's by Dummen, a german plant breeder. I just love they way they set this little display up against the backdrop of this little old shed.

Look at this fabulous old barn, circa 1898. Look at all the barn wood. Are you drooling yet? We got a tour inside the old lady which used to house hay and milking cows. There are still old records hanging on the wall from the 1950's to document transactions from many moons ago.

Here's our grower girl, sitting beneath a tree, networking/embibing with our competition. You never know who's going to be at these luncheon's and it's always fun to hear how all the other growers fared over the past season.

Here's me with Yves, the Canadian Regional Director for Ball Horticulture. I like Yves. He likes a good bottle of wine.......and so do I. The difference is, he can actually tell the difference between a good wine and a cheap wine. I can't. I wanna learn more about wine from Yves :)

We really enjoyed our afternoon around the pool, soaking in the BC sun, enjoying the view of the mountains and sipping a good glass of Merlot. I wish you all could have joined us because it was a beautiful time.......maybe next year?

In the meantime, make sure you stop by Hooked on Houses, to see what everyone else is hooked on this week! Just click here http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/06/18/hooked-on-victory-gardens/

Also, check out Tootsie and her Fertilizer Friday posts. You're gonna see some amazing gardening going on around here! Click here http://tootsietime.blogspot.com/2009/06/fertilizer-friday-flaunt-your-flowers.html


13 Comments »

13 Responses to “Hooked on Industry Luncheon's”

Chandra said...

Hmmm...our house is circa 1852, so it's 46 yeas older than that "old" barn, LOL! :o)

FOR THE SAKE OF TIME said...

How absolutely wonderful! Your photographs are fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

Charla

Tootsie said...

hey....I think I should have done only pots this year too!!! I love the big big pots you showed...Hope you had a great time.
My parents were buying winter boots the other day...and flip flops and sandals for their shoe stores....I understand completely!

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

Fantastic Barn.

Pots are the best -- less weeding!!

Lovin that idea ... :)

TTFN~~Claudia

Darla said...

Wonderful! Love the containers for sure!!

Lori E said...

I drool over these. Hey was there a woman working there named Kelly? Little bitty thing? I know someone who was at some event last night related to the wholesale nursery she works at.
Thanks for stopping by.The bridge is fabulous. It is such a feeling of freedom to not have to go all the way around to the other bridges or the ferry. Worth every penny I will pay.

Nola @ the Alamo said...

Those are some spectacular petunias! I've never heard of those growers, I'll have to start paying more attention in the garden centers.

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

Gorgeous containers...thanks for including us in your day...it was fun...now where is my glass???

Shabby Cottage Collectibles said...

Those pots are fabulous! I enjoyed your post..thanks for sharing, Esther

Carole~Maynard Greenhouse said...

Hi Tamara,
Thanks for taking us on the tour. I've never used Ball petunias...mostly PW. I may go to the Pleasant View trail show this year with some other folks.
Hope you didn't mind my comment on the pots awhile back. I should learn to keep my opinons to myself. Really do enjoy your blog and your sense of humor. In this biz you need it.

imjacobsmom said...

I wish I could have joined you - it looks like a wonderful day! ~ Robyn

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Love the old barn, wouldn't it make a fabulous home? Your pictures are awesome. Do you know I've only purchased 2 ferns this year? Haven't had the fever like I had before. I'm yearning for some geraniums, but for some reason mine don't grow well... Thanks for the visit darling. Love when you come by. The grass in the picture was still brown from winter. Those pictures were taken early early spring. It's now nice and green and lush, unless the extreme heat we're already getting zaps it. Hope all is well with you and yours. hugs ~lynne~

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

It is amazing to attend events where you are selecting the future!
The flowers are so lovely.