Sunday, May 3, 2009

Metamorphosis Of A Virtuoso Violinist

I am so worried that some of my blogger peeps out there might be thinking that I have NO LIFE outside of the greenhouse because........well, that seems to be all I can blog about lately. So, today I decided that I needed to set everyone straight in regards to our family living a balanced life, proving that we're not "all work and no play!".

It's Metamorphosis Monday over at Between Naps on a Porch which is a perfect time to show how very balanced my life really IS......and what enormous changes have occured here in our household over the last 14 years!

Perhaps I am sounding a bit defensive. That's probably because right around this time of the year I need to keep telling myself "Tamara, you DO have other things going on in your life beside flowers!" Just because I barely have time to sit down for a cup of coffee these days doesn't mean that there is nothing else important going on around here. Granted, my phone never stops ringing and orders keep coming in, BUT there are more things to my life than just SPRING FLOWERS!

And I have the evidence to PROVE it! Last week I received a copy of a dutch magazine in the mail. This magazine has a circulation of 80,000 people across the Netherlands.......maybe even in Germany, for all I know. Anyway, right in the center of this glossy, European magazine is a large article featuring Junior. Yes, my Junior, can you believe it? This magazine calls him a "virtuoso violinist"! Wow! VIRTUOSO VIOLINIST?! I still remember when he was in grade one and we first started going to lessons. I never once IMAGINED someone describing him as a VIRTUOSO violinist..........ANNOYING violinist maybe but VIRTUOSO violinist is.......well......pretty cool.

I can tell you that I have fought and bribed and cajoled this "virtuoso violinist" for 10 long years with all my motherly strength of will, forcing him to practice and stay the course. I have made many trips to McDonalds after a lesson to "reward" Junior for a job well done with a big, fat McFlurry or some yummy french fries. I wonder if Yitzakh Perlman's mother ever had to bribe Yitzakh with McFlurries to get him to practice? After all those Mickey D trips, I'm amazed that this story of Metamorphosis isn't about how my boy went from a skinny little runt to a grande sized Sumo Wrestler.

Here's a little letter Junior wrote to his Mom and Dad in grade one, describing the things he was good at which, according to Junior at the time, was pretty much everything. Personally, I feel his spelling left a bit to be desired so let me translate his message for you. It goes something like this "I'm good at everything but I'm not very good at reading these books on the shelf but I like to look at the pictures too. I have some favorite books......." "like music books. Some music books have violin in them. Love Lawrence" Even back in grade one, his first year of violin lessons, he loved his violin!

Jump ahead 14 years and a fancy pants dutch magazine is calling my baby a virtuoso violinist. He is featured in the article with my little angel, who also recorded a CD in Holland a number of years ago with her brother. Her big brother always played a whole lot of duets with his little sister over the years. They have played their fiddles together since the beginning. All that playing together makes them an amazing DUO! What a METAMORPHOSIS!

So, today on this Metamorphosis Monday, I dedicate this post to my AMAZINGLY musical kids who have a very busy week ahead of them. My troupe of 5 musicians will be playing, singing and acting in FIDDLER ON THE ROOF! 6 performances and 1 dress rehearsal over the next 14 days will be a marathon in itself. Have you got your tickets yet? They are going fast......

Make sure to stop by Between Naps on the Porch to check out what everyone is posting about. Just click here. http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2009/05/welcome-to-16th-metamorphosis-monday.html


19 Comments »

19 Responses to “Metamorphosis Of A Virtuoso Violinist”

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Tamara...what a sweet post! I would be busting with pride myself! You done good...raised awesome kids! Great Met Monday...loved it! Susan

marty39 said...

Raising wonderful and talented children is such an awesome accomplishment. You should be so proud. Thanks for sharing such a precious post. Hugs, Marty

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

Now that's a Met Monday...congrats on the dynamic duo...
Becky

KBeau said...

Well I bet you're just busting your buttons. What talented children you have.

mbkatc230 said...

What a wonderful post. I found you through Susan - the title Virtuoso Violinist caught my eye immediately, having worked for a violin maker in Philadelphia in the early 80's. What a wonderful group of talented children you have. It makes my heart sing to see children involved in music. You might want to take a peek at my latest post, you'll probably get a kick out of it. Nice to meet you! Kathy

niartist said...

Tamara - what talented children you have! And what a wonderful post! I always wish that my mother would have pushed for me to stick with piano lessons at an early age. I did enjoy it, but like most kids my mind wandered! It's so wonderful that your son is being recognized for his amazing talents! You should be so proud!

Sherrie said...

Tamara,
What a delight! You have to be so proud!
Thank you for sharing your story:0)
~Sherrie

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

What a great metamorhosis story!! Isnt it wonderful all that money in violin lesson and hearing all the squeeks may pay off after all!!

blessings
mary

Michelle said...

Sweet story and thanks so much for sharing.

I used to live in a greenhouse too, now I prefer my own home.

Fifi Flowers said...

THey grow sooo fast!

LdyDy said...

Thanks for sharing this endearing Metamorphosis. You have every reason to be proud! Hugs!

Marie Reed said...

Wooooooow! I'm flabbergasted! Tears are actually coming to my eyes! What an exciting and humble post you've shared! You must be beaming and glowing with joy and pride!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. You must be so, so proud. Congrats to you and your virtuoso!

Rue said...

Hi Tamara :)

That is so cool that you have such talented kids! I know there's more to you than just flowers, you can tell it in almost all your posts, because you always mention something about them :)

Have a great week!
rue

Rosa said...

That is very cool!
And I love that your kids are practicing while they are camping! :)

antigoni said...

You must be a very proud mum. And you deserve to be. You have very good kids and you gave them good roads to walk, far away from bad influences. You did great job with your kids.

Beth's Blog said...

Congrats on your wonderful children!!

Tootsie said...

you go girl!!! greenhouse is greenhouse but bragging about the "gang" is the bestest thing!

now...I don't mind a bit if you blog about the greenhouse!!!! lol

Sandy said...

Woo Hoo! So glad you sent me here.

Thanks for sharing and your comment today!

Hugs!