Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hooked on Hanging Baskets


It's all out "craziness" at the greenhouse this week, especially when it comes to Hanging Baskets. You see, our new facility has a brand new automatic Hanging Basket system that lets us grow 3......count them.......3 layers of baskets above the warehouse area. That's a whole lot of baskets and a whole lot of weight.


I'm not sure how heavy these 100,000 square feet of baskets 3 layers deep are but let me tell you, this hanging basket system has been working hard to keep them all up there. As a matter of fact, this past week they have actually started falling down. Imagine a 15 pound fuschia basket falling down from 28 feet. Now imagine that you don't know which basket will be the next to fall........would you dare to work under these baskets?


Well, needless to say, the system was failing so we called out the professionals. Mr Cherry Creek Hanging basket system came out to visit us and help us get it back into working order. We had such an interesting visit. It turns out the Mr Cherry Creek has 23 children.......and yet he is a ball of energy and enthusiasm! I started feeling guilty that we had him travel all the way from Colorado Springs to fix our basket system........leaving his wife and kids behind. I am still waiting for a family portrait because I can hardly believe it until I see it with my own eyes. No wonder he invented a hanging basket system with 3 layers. I bet that's how he used to make the kids sleep when they were young, 3 layers deep!


Anyway, the basket system is working a bit better now after a whole lot of adjustments. Now all we have to do is pick all these fuschia baskets and ship them to market before Mother's Day. Anybody out there looking for a job in a greenhouse? We could use anyone who has hands and feet and is still breathing. That's all it takes to get a job here at our place in May!

I close my Hooked on Friday post with a few pictures that I took from the top of the forklift. I wanted to get a shot of all the carts packed and ready to go to market because you just can't get a good feel for how much plant product it is unless you go up to where the baskets are, 20 feet up. Thanks for the lift there, Jay! Hey, look at all those big wigs standing around discussing important things. We couldn't get it done without them :) Discuss away boys, I know you'll make some really good decisions! Now, don't you think that life just couldn't get any better when spring comes round and we start seeing gorgeous planters like these ones?! It is definately "A BEAUTIFUL LIFE" surrounded by fabulous flowers like this.

Now don't forget to stop on by Hooked on Houses for today's Hooked on Friday posts from all over blog land. Click here to see more http://hookedonhouses.net/2009/04/30/hooked-on-diy-remodeling-projects-around-the-house/


3 Comments »

3 Responses to “Hooked on Hanging Baskets”

Cass @ That Old House said...

Glad to hear you have solved the problem of the bombs-away baskets! Yikes. and that guy with 23 kids? I'm not surprised that HE is chipper; what about his WIFE? Holy moly.
GORGEOUS flowers! Cass

Nola @ the Alamo said...

Oh, those baskets are beautiful! I don't have anywhere to hang plants, wish someone would invent a lovely hanging system for homes!

Rosa said...

WOW!!!
That is amazing! And you still get enough light for the things growing on the ground?
I'll be heading to the big box store after supper and I'll let you know how things are going with those racks of plants.
And by the way, are any of those fushia baskets heading my way?
I have the absolutely perfect spots for two of them on my back deck!!
:)
Have a great weekend!