Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Do You Have an Emergency Escape Plan for Your Photo's?


Things are finally getting back to normal around here, although there is a LOT of snow left yet. It has been difficult to get around town but I sent my first batch of pictures off to Walmart digitally and have received digital confirmation that they are ready for pick up! Can you believe the speed of things these days?! Sadly, I went to pick them up last night and.......the photo center was closed for some unexplained reason. You would think that by now you could teleport things from wherever you choose.......like the transporter in Star Trek!

Just imagine that a Walmart photo clerk rings me up on a hollographic phone and says "Hello, Mrs Jansen, this is a courtesy call to let you know your photos are ready. Are you ready to receive them?"


I respond on my hollographic phone "Oh, that's great! Just beam them over please" and they suddenly appear inside my microwave, ready to pop into photo albums.



Don't you just love technology?!


Anyway, my new resolution has brought to light a disturbing situation at my house. I suddenly realized that since I moved into my new house, I have not made an emergency exit plan for my beloved photos should a serious fire break out at my place. I used to have a foolproof plan at the old house. I had it all figured out that I could grab my boxes and albums and just start throwing them out a side window. They used to all be stored together in one easy retrieval spot.


Now at the new place, I hadn't really thought about the possibility of a fire. I layed awake a long time last night wondering "How will I ever get all my abums out in time if this place goes up in flames?" I'm not too worried about the kids........they all have legs, they can walk out by themselves but.......my albums, I need to make an emergency plan!


So, as I wandered around the house, looking for the best choice for a quick exit suitable for my treasured memories, I realized that my albums are ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Here are some under the stairs, behind the box of games and puzzles. What was I thinking? Oh, look at this, even my Wedding Album is in here! We were so naive back then.



Uh oh, here's some pics that are not even in large albums. BREATHE, Tamara, BREATHE! Everything is gonna be alright!



Look at all these amazing memories.........this album is from the trip we took to Rio de Janeiro with my sister Lisa.........oh, and here is one from a cruise we took with the kids to Alaska........another one from the time we went to Holland with the family. My babies were so young back then.


This is an album I made a few years ago for a wedding anniversary gift for the Big Guy. It's my sneaky way of getting him to look through old photos.......make him a gift album so he has to pretend he's interested :)

Look how young WE were in these photos!



Over in my coffee table I found my kids baby books. Can you believe that this is the sonogram of Danny Boneduce? Who could have guessed he'd grow up to be such a charmer? And I even still have his hospital bracelete and a lock of hair from his very first hair cut. Aaaaaaw!They were so cute back then. Good thing I'm about to have grand kids........I'm feelin' that overwhelming BABY urge comin' on!



Oh no! What have we here?! All my home video's from over the years! I never even THOUGHT about you guys! I'll have to add you into my emergency exit plan. I'll make sure you guys make it out alive.......I promise!


11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Do You Have an Emergency Escape Plan for Your Photo's?”

Tootsie said...

I used to have a plan too! I hadn't even thought of it until today with this house....I don't even know where many of them are!

Beth's Blog said...

I loved All of your vacation photos! (I have been reading, just not commenting) It looks like you and your family had a wonderful Holiday!

I have to say I never thought about all of my photos....and mine are spread out all over the house just like yours. They are in boxes and on shelves. I think you have given me something to think about. I'll have to come up with a plan too I think!

once in a blue moon... said...

your posts are so darn entertaining! you have more stuff then me, but there once was a time i put them all on cds and stored in the safe depost box. but as you age, you soon need the whole vault...

Trevor said...

I can't beleive you are getting them developed at Wal-Mart. Have you thought about Costco? Way better!

The Berry's Patch said...

Good lord girl you've made me anxious. I don't have a plan either. I guess we would have the digital photos from Walmart/Costco/Walgreens but what about the wedding and baby pictures. ARGH!

Blue Muse said...

Hi Tamara!

I loved this post. Very entertaining, but now you have me thinking about all my things scattered about. We just moved into our place and we're doing major renovations. Color me crazy. Unpack boxes and at the same do some construction. Everything I have seems scattered right now! No natural disasters in the near future, please! :)

I'll definitely be back to see what you're up to! Love your blog.

Thanks for visiting my little world today, and you're right! It was a blue moon deal! I love Craigs List. :)

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

We have to think about photos here...Hurricane territory. So the plan, while not terribly elegant, is everything in double black trash bags...in a closet. Easy in Easy out. Nobody gets hurt.

I loved seeing your goat barn reno! Gives me hope for ous! We just have SO MUCH stuff in ours, hard to get the energy to know what to do with it!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Oh, Tamara, forgot to mention...Why not keep all of your pics (or the best of them) on a photo sharing site (flickr, picassa...)They are on the internet, not your computer. So...if your puter crashes, the pics are still there in internet land...you can access them from any computer, anywhere(libary, wireless cafe...friends puter...). That way you can print ones you need, but know there is another layer of protection.

dowhatyoulove said...

hehe, holy smokes girl! Look at all those photos! I would have to agree with Trevor, Costco has amazing prices, and they do a wonderful job. We get our photos printed there that we sell. How often do you look through all those photos?

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Hi Tamara...it's nice to meet you! Thansk for your kind comment on my tablescape post. You have a very interesting blog & I enjoyed my visit. Congrats upon becoming a grandma...grands are great!

Janet said...

I've been meaning to catch-up on my scrapbooking this winter as well...I haven't done any since Jenna was born - and that's almost seven years ago! YIKES! Good news...your entertaining blog entries are inspiring me! In Ontario, we still have many more winter months to look forward to, so we'll see how far I get!?!