Thursday, December 25, 2008

You Are Not Going To Believe What I Got For Christmas!

We're still snowed in here in the Fraser Valley but I'm determined to make my dinner anyway. Martha's counting on me to get the party started.......even though the snow is still coming down which meant that we had to get the big guns out to clean the driveway for our guests. Good thing the Big Guy loves to drive tractors!


I made sure to follow her instructions as closely as possible because she knows what she's talking about when it comes to cooking turkey. I had to loosen the turkey skin and insert the butter underneath it which really had the kids going into apopyleptic seizures. "Eeeeeew, gross!" and "That's disgusting!" was heard in unison as I carried out this most important step to ensure a moist bird.


I seasoned liberally with salt and fresh ground pepper and popped the bird in the oven. 2 hours later I removed the cheese cloth which was soaked in butter and white wine to ensure a moist bird, as per Martha's instructions. Everything was looking just wonderful.........but........I did not have a thermometer as required in step 5, to ensure the beast was fully cooked. I had to fly by the seat of my pants on this one. I was really hoping I wouldn't mess this up. Martha was counting on me!


Now WHERE did I put that basting brush! I know I have one somewhere around there......


I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about the quality of my food since I was going simply on the instructions of a 5 dollar magazine. Martha's good but is she really that good? So I decided that I'd better go a little bit heavy on the dinner table decor. I figured that if the food didn't taste great..... at least I could make sure it would LOOK good. Presentation is everything........or so I've heard!


Well, Martha didn't let me down and the Turkey turned out absolutely wonderful. The Big Guy was not sure how to carve the bird so I gave him Martha's Turkey carving instructions to follow but he's not as quick a learner as I am........it was a bit of a rough chop job, I have to admit but it didn't change the great flavor one bit.

Just in case you were wondering wether I did a ham or not, I followed Martha's recipe on that as well and it turned out just great!

What do you think Lisa? Did it pass muster? I know your boots are pretty tough to fill but.......it wasn't half bad, was it?


Now, are you wondering what I got for Christmas this year? It was quite a shock for me..........it gave me a hot flash and I'm not even going through menopause! Wait for it.........

My BABY is having a BABY! Yup, I'm gonna be a Gramma! Ok, it's not gonna happen till next August but I'm just too excited to keep it a secret. See these cool toques we all got to announce the new addition to our family?Uncle Lawrence, Aunty Rebecca, Uncle Reuben and Aunty Breanne were almost excited as Gramma.......just in case you weren't paying attention.......that's me......Gramma!

Now before I sign off, I have a BONE TO PICK with MARTHA. I checked the book a couple times and I did not see anything about THIS!!!!.........or THIS!!!!!!You seem to have forgotten to mention all the dirty dishes, Martha. I think you should make sure to add in a little CAUTION NOTE at the end of all your wonderful magazines to warn us ladies about the CLEAN UP required to pull off a meal like this. That way we can make a more informed decision before we get ourselves into these messes!


23 Comments »

23 Responses to “You Are Not Going To Believe What I Got For Christmas!”

bj said...

Hahaaahhaa...this is an absolutely ADORABLE post !! I enjoyed every minute and spit my coffee all over my screen when I saw you, apron, tall boots and all, digging around in the barbque looking for that brush....so so cute...
and CONGRATULATIONS on becoming a granma....you, my dear, are in for the ride of your life!!! I have 10 of these precious blessings so that MUST make me an expert...right? ;>)
love, bj

Carol said...

You did a marvelous job with your Christmas turkey! You had quite a crowd for dinner, what fun!
Congratulations on becoming a grandma in August! We're having our first grandson in February, we can't wait!
When I woke up this morning I told hubby that I didn't think I'd do any undecorating today. When I read your comment that confirmed my decision to be lazy today! LOL!
Smiles,
Carol

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Tammy, on the news that you are going to be a gramma. Also the turkey looked great. Glad you had a great Christmas. May God bless you and yours in the New Year.
Adalia

Rosa said...

WOW! Great post! I'm going to have to borrow that magazine for next Christmas! It looks like you did a great job!
I can't beleive I'm going to be the only non-Grandma sister! LOL
Congratulations!!

marina said...

Ow Tam, I'm so happy for you! My wishes for you to be a granny are in! How do you feel about that? Your girl is officialy a grown woman! Your baby will have a baby!!! You got over everybody this year: you've got the perfect present!:)

Gina @ Six in the Country said...

Everything looks lovely!

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and send you warm wishes for a Happy New Year!

Brenda@View From The Pines said...

Congratulations! As you know I just welcomed my first granddaughter into the world, and it's a moving and beautiful experience. I don't take on big dinners. But I admire those like you with the bravery to tackle it. Looks like you had quite a crowd. Your home looks elegant and lovely!
Brenda

Amy Jo said...

those hats are fabulous. how fun and different

Tootsie said...

you look too young to have kids that big! congrats on the turkey...and the rest...that baby is such a great gift!
happy new year Tamara!

MelD said...

Congratulations to you all on the upcoming arrival of a new baby! How exciting! Merry Christmas too!

Anette said...

Christmas greetings from Norway! Your turkey looks excellent, and wow did you get the best present there is!

momstheword said...

The turkey looked wonderful! The dishes....well, not much fun, I agree. I loved the picture of you all dressed up out in the snow looking for the brush, lol.

Congrats on your new grandbaby! BTW, I don't know if we have a Plum around here, but I figure if your girls will wear something of yours, then you must be dresssing "hip!"

Nancy-Mom said...

That turkey looks great and like I said to Rosa, I'm sure it was all just as delicious as Lisa's. Lindsey did ours over here and for a first time, she did a marvelous job.
Congrats on the greandbaby news,very exciting. With all our kids first one I would go out and present them with a few baby necessities to make it real.

Chris said...

Next year I want to come to your house for Christmas, you looked like you had all the fun you can stand. And that turkey, wow, could have been for a photo shoot. I'll just bet it was as good as it looked too. Loved the snow pictures.
Stop by again when you get time, I would love to get to know you better.

Hugs,
Chris

Stephanie said...

Congratulations, Grandma! I'm very impressed by the turkey...slightly jealous. I'm on bed rest with my second pregnancy so the cooking was up to my husband. We had spaghetti and meatballs. Because that's what he knows how to cook. Bless his heart.

momofcrt said...

Congratulations Tam!! Exciting news. I hope and pray all goes well with the pregnancy and that in due time you are able to hold your grandchild on your lap.
The dinner looked fantastic, I'm sure it tasted great too.

Erica Feunekes said...

Great looking bird Tammy! We had lovely little chickens from the local market which I baked in a wood-fired oven circa 1950! Congrats on becoming a Grandma!!! But you're so young... :-)

Catherine Holman said...

Congratulations! That's the best present ever. I hope to get one of those presents in the near future if at all possible before I'm too old to move.
Happy New Year!
Cathie

LovingLynden said...

Congratulations - what exciting news!!
I think she chose a fun way to tell you - I'll have to remember that one....
Your dinner looked yum but your decor looked even better - do you make housecalls? My house needs a professionals touch!

ghita said...

Congratulations on becoming a grandma! That's exciting news!

Emily said...

Your post was hilarious! Congrats on becoming grandma! That is sooo exciting. The entire family must be so thrilled.

Beth's Blog said...

Wow! It looks like you and your family had a great Christmas!Your turkey looked so good!

Congrats on becoming a Grandma.:)

Rosa said...

Well deary me, I was waiting for a disaster and it sounds absolutely fabulous! Everything looked perfect and I'm sure every one had a great time! Congrats! How fun! Did you ever find your baster? teheh. That's like me. I wait until the last minute to start looking for a necessity! Geesh!!!