Monday, December 8, 2008

"Mama's, don't let your babies grow up to be farmers!"


The farmer's life is a tough life. Some times you've got to get up early.......REAL early.......to bring in the harvest. I'm not sure about you, but I HATE getting up early. It makes me cranky. Nobody likes me when I'm cranky, so we try to keep the early rising to a minimum at Darvonda. Well, all except the truck drivers. They ALWAYS have to get up early, poor guys!



This morning was one of those rare occasions that we had to start early. I didn't want to tell you the bad news last week but, actually,another container was late. I didn't want you to worry but it was a full 1 month late in arriving, just like the last one. That meant that as soon as it arrived, we had to start packing plants as fast as we could to get them to market before it's too late. So, this morning at 4 am, while ya'll were still snuggled nice and warm in bed, my peeps at Darvonda were working hard to get all the poinsettias ready for shipping.



Now it's late at night and I'm too tired to think, much less blog.......so I thought I would treat you to a short video of life on the farm at 4 am.

video


The moral of this story? Mama's, don't let your babies grow up to be farmers :) It's real hard work!

Just in case you didn't get enough of a the feel of 4 am at Darvonda...........here's an encore! Now try to imagine doing this for 4 weeks steady.

video


11 Comments »

11 Responses to “"Mama's, don't let your babies grow up to be farmers!"”

The W.O.W. factor said...

LOL! Just like my headed says about daughters marrying Cowboys!
I'm not an early riser, willingly, either except during spring and summer!
It'll be over soon.
Enjoy your sleep!

Rosa said...

I felt very comforted by the fact that I wasn't the only one up early this morning! :)

Brenda@View From The Pines said...

I wake up around 6 a.m. But not 4 a.m. I consider myself a morning person, though. Are you sure those containers aren't getting "pirated" like those things over in other countries?
Brenda

Nola @ the Alamo said...

I hate rising early, too. I'm not fit to be around for the first hour I'm awake. I need coffee to make me social, then, and only then can I speak in full sentences!

momofcrt said...

Wow, that is a production and a half!! I have to get to the city SOON to buy my flowers. Not sure when that will be though.
Your mom called the other day and hinted very overtly that it was time we visted her LOL.

Nancy said...

Oh bless your heart! I hate to get up early! I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog! I have enjoyed my visit with you! You have a great blog and I will come back. Nancy

dana said...

I ALWAYS wondered about the kind of fun and excitement floral folks had while packing poinsettias in the wee hours of the morning---your staff seemed awfully quite!! (though very efficient!). Thanks for that little glimpse in to your business! It seems you've had some holiday stress with the late arrival of your plants---you have handled it remarkably well.
Hope it's smooth sailing from here until Christmas!! Dana

marina said...

At that time I wash sewing my curtains so I was up too! The only thing is that it was 11 am in Greece!!!LOL!

marina said...

What kind of machine is the one that goes around all the time? (the one in video No 1)

Gina @ Six in the Country said...

I still haven't figured out why farming is supposed to be a "simple life". It is very hard work!

Tamara Jansen said...

To answer Marina's question: the machine that spins around is a cart wrapping machine. We wrap all our carts with plastic wrap to protect the branches during shipping. If we don't wrap them, the branches of the plants stick outside of the cart and get knocked of as you move the carts around in the trucks and at the stores.

I figured that you'd like to see that machine in motion. We used to wrap carts by hand and it's a tough job that makes you feel very dizzy!