Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Global Warming, My Eye!!!


Is it snowing where you are? Well, it sure is snowing around here! We haven't seen these kinds of low temperatures since 1964........that's........44 years ago.......I wasn't even born yet! The snow is coming down hard and fast and the temperatures are going waaaaay below zero tonight.




Too bad we're not on the ski hill right now, because this kind of weather would be perfect. On the other hand, if you were in Whistler last night on the Excaliber Gondola you may be swearing off skiing and Gondola's for a long, long time. I know I would, if I was in one of those cars that plummeted to earth last night when one of the tower's failed. Just one more excuse I can use to convince the family that skiing is just too dangerous :)



Look at how much snow has accumulated in just a few hours. My car isn't going anywhere any time soon.
Now, there is something you have probably never considered in your lifetime. For any normal person, a roof provides perfect shelter from this kind of weather but for us greenhouse people, a roof made of glass is always rather worrisome under the weight of heavy, wet snow. See this white stuff, way up on the peaks of the greenhouse? This is not a good thing in the greenhouse industry. We growers need to really be diligent in melting the snow off our roof's so that the weight of this slushy stuff doesn't bring the whole kit n' kaboodle down. It's happened before, kid you not!
But there is even more distressing news here at Darvonda........we have had to cancel the Annual Christmas Dinner tonight. The highway is closed between Abbotsford and Chilliwack, which means no one can get through. We had the greenhouse all decked out in holiday finery, ready for a night of fun and good cheer. I guess we'll have to wait till the snow melts :(


10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Global Warming, My Eye!!!”

mberenis said...

I enjoyed this blog, The author is a very talented blogger, thank you for sharing. Please view my blog and comment! Thanks!

--->Free Internet Speed Test<---

Linda said...

Aww - that plain old stinks that you can't have your dinner! I hope the snow melts soon and you can reschedule!!

Ms. Tee said...

I really wish we'd get some snow :) I love to ski, but have always wondered about those ski lifts - I hope no one was hurt!
Stay warm!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Brrr!! I am cold just looking at this! We have had some snow, but today the temps were back in the 40s, so things have had a chance to melt a little. Poor you!
Carrie

Darlene said...

All that snow looks so beautiful but I never thought about the greenhouse problem. Scary....do you have heaters up high to melt it??

That is too bad the dinner got cancelled....hopefully it gets re-scheduled!

Was anyone on that ski lift when it fell??

Jen - Balancing beauty and bedlam said...

Canceling that dinner is what nightmares are made of. Such a bummer. And from the comment on my blog - you're right - you have no little tasks during the month of Dec. Could you celebrate Christmas in July so you can enjoy it?

Tootsie said...

I have seen the mess that comes when a greenhouse collapses under the snow! good luck!
as for the crown...it is exactly like I found it...I guess that means I have to stalk pier one...there are more to come!!!!
stay warm!

Cathy Cobblestone said...

Hey Tamara - looks like you all have been buried in all that snow - but it sure is beautiful. And yes, I know jus' how bad snow on a greenhouse can be - I hope you all didn't have any trouble. I'm glad you liked my barn quilt. They are growing in popularity in the south. I started spotting them and jus' knew I had to have one. Especially when our Arts Council received a grant to pay half - can't beat that. Hope you have a fantastic Christmas. Thanks for all your visits and kind words. Cathy

Kim@ForeverWherever.com said...

Look at all that snow! We're going to be leaving on Christmas to find somewhere with snow! We might even make it to Canada! Have a wonderful White Christmas!

Maven said...

Can you believe this weather???

It's still snowing over here in Nanaimo!

Brrrr...