Sunday, November 30, 2008

Please Pull Up Your Sleeves


What a weekend I had! I asked myself numerous times over the last 2 days just exactly WHY did we decide to grow poinsettias again? It happens every year........we spend 4 weeks wildly packing and shipping a plant that hates to be packed and shipped.......and when it's all over, we wonder how we survived another Christmas season. This year is no different than any other year.


Since our container was still MIA on Thursday and we didn't have much work to do, we made the decision to send out extra people into the stores to make sure that the plants allready in the stores looked too good for the shoppers to resist. Each of us chose a region and I was the lucky one who got Vancouver Island.

I was also the very fortunate one to get the "Big Red Van" as my main means of transportation. Too bad I'm so short that I can't quite rest my foot on the gas pedal and the floorboards at the same time. It makes a 2 hour drive between stores quite a lesson in endurnce and a nasty stretch to try maintain an even speed. Besides that,we encountered a whole lot of heavy fog which made driving in a strange place on twisty mountain roads just a little nerve wracking for this motorist. I prefer to be a passenger!


I was extremely happy that Opera Diva was available to accompany me because she's a really good navigator. For me, city maps like this look about as complicated as one of these.

For those of you who don't know me, I have a confession to make......I was born with a geographical handicap......I can't find my way out of a paper bag!



Now, every time we go to a new store, we were met with a couple of hours of hard work to tidy up all the plants. I wonder if you have ever picked up an item in a store and then changed your mind half way through your shopping trip? Did you put that item down right there, in the middle of the store, nowhere near where you originally picked it up? Well, I am here to ask you to think of us poor merchandisers who have to scour the store to find those discarded items and put them back in their proper place. How about when you pick your flowers? Do you pull down the protective sleeves and leave them like that? I'm begging you.......please put it back the way you found it! It's so much work to keep things looking nice and fresh when you do that! Opera Diva and I worked for 2 days straight picking up after you this weekend!



Our return trip on Saturday turned out to be a bit difficult. The only way to return to the Mainland is via the Ferry which only runs every 2 hours. Due to a medical emergency, the 3 o'clock ferry was cancelled. Because of that earlier cancellation, the 5 0'clock ferry was delayed by 1 1/2 hours. This caused the 7 o'clock ferry to fill to capacity before we could make it back to the dock. We finally got on the 9 o'clock ferry which had to make the trip at HALF speed due to heavy fog. When we finally arrived home at midnight, the Big Guy had a wonderful glass of red wine and some cheeto's waiting for me! He's a keeper :)



It think he was feeling guilty that we had such a rough trip. He did the Okanogan region with Danny Boneduce in tow and they had a great time doing a bit of Father - Son bonding. It's not easy being the kid of a farmer.


14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Please Pull Up Your Sleeves”

Rosa said...

I NEVER leave the sleeve down anymore!!
I wish I'd been there to help. Although, since I can't find my way out of a paper bag either. . .I don't know how much help I would have been! :)

Rue said...

Hi Tamara :)

My goodness you've been busy while I was gone! From movies in your house (does hubby need to worry about John? LOL) to missing shipments.... wow! I'm glad you got that glass of wine and Cheetos, because I would have needed them too ;)

rue

Brenda@View From The Pines said...

Don't feel bad. I always say I can't find my ass with both hands.
Brenda

Jenny said...

I'm certainly not a puller-downer of the sleeves so the plants look wonky. No way hosey. And I really don't like to put things back out of place in a store. And after your little finger wagging, I surely never will. Unless I'm on fire or something similar.

Anywho, you were SO busy! I can't imagine such a ferry trip. How miserable! So glad you're home safe, Tamara!

Timmy said...

I must say flowers look wonderful as always! I kinda miss the long days of putting those things together... Pizza and Samosa's for dinner!

Containter Shipping is really the pits! We shipped some units from Italy last year, and they didn't know how to load the container properly! And to worsen the problem, Customs charged us up the wazoo to ship it to their location, and for inspection! Sometimes I wonder about the whole thing...
Can definitely be a nightmare, but I sure hope everything works out!

Catherine Holman said...

I promise to put everything back the way I found it from now on. I can't image how much time that must take.
Cathie

alicesg said...

Nice photos and good description of your journey. You sound like you are one of the contestant in amazing race.

Tootsie said...

I never leave the sleeve down! it is just rude to make a mess of someone else's work!
sorry you had to deal with so much!
any word on your container?

Tootsie said...

Maybe being "directionally challenged" is a Canadian gardener thing! lol I am horrible...thank goodness for the alarm on my truck...or I would not find it 1/2 the time!

Catherine Holman said...

Hi Tamara,
I haven't sold any designs to anyone yet including reproductions rights. I sent some paintings to a licensing company a week ago because they saw my work on my blog. I'm supposed to hear back soon and if I sign a contract they may not let me do that. But, in the meantime before I sign it, I'm under no obligation to them. If you are interested let me know. Thanks! Cathie

CurtissAnn said...

Oh, honey, you had both an adventure and trial! Hmmm...come to think of it, those two generally go together. I'm so glad you did grow poinsettias! I thought of you yesterday when I was down here looking at them. I decided I already had so much in my cart and car that my poinsettia would have to wait-- ah, but maybe I'll call hubby and get him to pick one up on his way home!

Sending hugs,
CurtissAnn

Louise said...

This is a great story! I love the wine and Cheetos!

And I wouldn't dream of messing up a store or the stuff in it. If I touch and do not take, I leave it where I found it exactly as I found it. Trying to teach my young children the same. I always tell them "SOMEONE has to clean up your messes. It is not polite to leave messes for other people to clean up."

Nola @ the Alamo said...

I was a girl scout, so I always try to leave things "better than I found them". I COULD NOT work in retail because the rudeness of customers would irritate me to death. People just have no manners, or leave them at home when they go out!

The W.O.W. factor said...

Oh how I love a good glass of wine and those puffy cheetos!!
You do know, you have my dream life!!! I hope you are enjoying it! Yea, yea...I KNOW you are! :)