Thursday, November 13, 2008

John and Roma, Thanks for the Memories!

Well now everyone, that was just waaaaaay to much fun! Can you believe that I had John Schneider and Roma Downey in my house? Try to imagine, John Schneider serenading me on my very own guitar today in my very own house?! Is that just CRAZY or what?! But, I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I should set the stage for you, help you understand the context of this little interlude. Here it goes.....







The Hallmark movie of the month that was being filmed at my place is about a woman who dies just before her daughter is about to get married. John Schneider is the girl's long absent father, who returns to town for the funeral and the wedding. He wants to try build a relationship with his daughter after all that lost time. He comes riding into town in his pickup and camper, which I forgot to take a picture of. Sorry about that. Instead, I've got a picture of the front of my house which was, according to the sign, the house of Roma Downey (Laura), town lawyer and sister to the deceased.









Would you just LOOK at all the people outside in my front yard?! The film is supposed to be set in the summer so they were dressing things up to look flowery but I find all the winter parka's and the toques (do you say toque in America? Up here in Canada, we all know what that means.....a knitted cap......a toque) make this summer season look just a little frigid!


Here comes the lead character, John Schneider, to my front door. He's going to do the scene where he meets Roma and stops in for coffee. Now, if I was Roma, and John Schneider came to my door.......I'd have that sucker open before he could even reach for the door bell......wouldn't you?




I bet you're thinking that I took these photos. Maybe you're even thinking "Wow, that girl sure knows how to take a paparazzi shot!". Actually, Plumber Boy is a BIG fan of John Schneider and he came over to take some photos for me. Plumber Boy, all us ladies would like to thank you for taking this picture for us. You've got a very nice telephoto lens :)



Hey, that gives me an idea Plumber Boy. We should have a "Dukes of Hazzards" party some time........me and the Big Guy......you and the wife.......we could rent some re-runs, pop some popcorn, sit on the couch that John and Roma sat on and take a trip down memory lane! It'll be a real hoot!



Oh Roma, Roma, Roma. How could you make this guy wait at the door? Hurry up and let him in, would ya? It's rotten cold outside!


Look and me and my peeps, Grower Girl. We're standing where John was standing.




Here's a side view of the house where all the equipment was stationed. What a TON of equipment these guys use.

Do you see how beautiful the weather got today? We ended up having the only sunny day in the last couple of weeks and that just made the house look wonderful on film. The sun was just bursting in through the windows. But we shouldn't dally outside because John and Roma are having coffee.......lets go inside and check it out.





Now here you see Roma Downey standing in the spot where I make coffee every morning. Doesn't she look amazing? I'm thinking that I'd better get my act together and make sure my makeup and hair are done before I go out to make my morning cuppa Joe. I'm pretty sure the Big Guy would be pleased if I made that kind of effort :)





Now here's that same shot but from my position on the stairs behind the camera guys. Is that COOL or what?!

Does this picture look a little smokey to you? Maybe Roma just burnt the toast she was making for John for breakfast. Wouldn't that be embarrassing? Actually, for some reason, the film crew was pumping smoke into the house for the entire time they were filming. Apparently this creates a real ambience to the shot. I can tell you that, although it doesn't create much of a mood on a digital camera, it sure creates an incredible feeling of softness on film. Somehow the smoke appears to soften the edges of things and yet you can't see it on camera. Very cool trick.




Once the scene has been rehearsed, all the crew piles back into my kitchen to discuss the logistics of the shot. I wish I could tell you what all these people did but I just don't remember. But, I promise you, as soon as the director said "CUT!" everyone was moving around, doing something before they could film the next scene.


Look at the sun shining in my windows. Don't you just love how the smoke accents the sun beams? Do you see those peppers on the plate behind Roma? The crew was looking in my fridge for fruit but couldn't find any (we don't eat much fruit around here) so they went with peppers. Now, when I realized they had gone in my fridge I moaned inwardly "Why, oh why did I not CLEAN out the fridge last night?!" I don't even want to think about what John thought when he saw the state of my unclean fridge. SHUDDER!



OK, here's my favorite shot.......on the right of the frame is John, standing all melancholy, leaning against MY patio doors. Now take a close look at how close his head is to the top of that door. I can't say exactly how tall he is but.......he's tall. I think John figured it was a really good view out that door. He's such a good actor. There's nothing but a tall evergreen hedge out there. Absolutely nothing to see. I believe you, John. I believe you!



Now take a look at the girl on the right in this photo. She's the one with the toque on inside my house. My house is cold but not that cold. Me thinks she was trying to IMPRESS someone....... Well, this poor girls job was to wash that blue coffee cup she's holding in her hand after every scene and I can tell you, there were very, very many takes of this scene. First 4 or 5 times from a long distance. Next 4 or 5 of Roma talking. Then another 4 or 5 of John saying his lines and then for good measure, another 4 or 5 real, real close up ones of John saying his lines. And he sure know's how to say his lines! I think he was almost crying a couple of times, he was so into the role. I almost jumped up to give him a tissue, he was so convincing......I KID YOU NOT!



Here's a shot between takes, looking into a very smokey kitchen. Seriously people, how on earth this translates into good film footage, I have no idea.


But I stood right behind the director, to make sure that there wasn't too much smoke in the shot and it looked just wonderful. Good thing I was there to keep things on track! Next time I burn the bacon I'm gonna tell everyone that I'm just trying to set the moooooood :)


Now, there were a few moments of down time and fortunately they moved the actors chairs out of my rather dishevelled laundry room and put them in the upstairs landing. Also not clean but quite a bit less embarrassing than the laundry room, if you ask me.


OK, now here we have a picture of John re-stringing MY guitar. NOBODY has ever re-strung my guitar for me since I was 13 years old. This guy really knows how to sweet talk the ladies!


I am incredibly embarrassed to say that I asked him if he was in a band. Yes, I did! I could've crawled under the table when he told me that he'd produced 12......count them.......12 albums. Not CD's of course, because he's a little older than I am and they didn't have CD's in those days, did they? Anyway, he was such a nice guy.


Tamara: "When did you start playing the guitar John?"


John: "Oh, when I was 8 or so. I just love acoustic guitars but I haven't played a classical in a long time. It feels like a big ol' stick under my fingers"


Tamara: "How did you get into show business?"


John: "I started in Musical Theatre"


Tamara: "Oh! My daughter is going to be in Fiddler on the Roof this spring"


John: "I did Fiddler on the Roof too!"


Tamara: "What part did you play?"


John: "I played Tevia"




CAN YOU IMAGINE?! Bo Duke as Tevia?! I can just see him singing

"If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle,
bubba bubba deedle deedle dum".
Wouldn't that be a hoot? Aaaaaah! Thanks for the memories John and Roma. Ya'll come back now, ya hear!"


17 Comments »

17 Responses to “John and Roma, Thanks for the Memories!”

momofcrt said...

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, he's still a hottie isn't he? And to think he restrung your guitar. I'd wrap it in gold and put it in storage LOL
What a neat experience, thanks for sharing!

MelD said...

Your suggestions sounds wonderful Tam! Maybe when the busy Christmas season is over...although I do find it funny how everyone had time to go meet a celebrity yesterday! Should have popped by myself and saved Trevor from embarrassing himself in front of Roma! If you dídn't hear the story ask Trevor :)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like so much fun, i have been a fan Of John Schneider for as long as i can remember. I watch Dukes of Hazzard reruns all the time.
Adalia

Rosa said...

What a great story!!
Wish I'd been there!
This was the next best thing though. . .
Thanks for sharing! :)

Nancy-Mom said...

I'd be on cloud nine too!! what fun !

Lorie said...

Superman's dad sang to you! Swoon!

Melissa Wertz said...

Oh what a hunk! You know what you need to get and save for a giveaway? An autograph!!!! And one of these photos.

He was featured in American Fitness Magazine. I think he is 6'2", 185 or so. Works out everyday. When he is shooting on location, he will run for a while then stop somewhere like at a park or a fence rail and do dips or pull ups. Then start running again. He is about my age, or a couple of years older. Cutie pie!

Nola @ the Alamo said...

I love the idea of a Dukes of Hazard party, but you KNOW what you gotta do... Get out those "Daisy Duke's" and a pair of heels and dress the part.

MIMILEE said...

Wow, girl! This is so great!!! What a fabulous experience for you and a wonderful memory. Thanks for sharing it......Can't wait to see the movie. Your home is so charming!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love it! Thanks so much for sharing this great experience Tamara. I'm going to send your link to my friends. They will love it, too!

Catherine Holman said...

Wow! Have you recovered? Thanks for sharing the photos and the fun time!
Catherine

Jenny said...

Nice! He's aged rather well, hasn't he? Are you sleeping with the guitar? I'm with you, I'd certainly be burning something on purpose, to set the mood, of course.

Wow. . .

Jenny said...

Btw, when is The Wedding Dance being released? I need to set our tivo. :)

Slug-A-Bed said...

Came over from PW. I saw JS in concert! He was great. He wore a white tee shirt, during the concert he tore it open from neck to hem and sang shirtless for the rest of the concert! Sounded as good as he looked!

antigoni said...

I love this actor.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

NO WAY! This is so cool! Now I'm dying to get ahold of the movie and see your house in it.

Bakerella said...

Fascinating. That's such a great recap. Love the behind the scene photos. And, John of course.

And your house is really pretty, too.