Saturday, November 15, 2008

It's That Time Again!


It's been a busy weekend here at the greenhouse. We had to call in all the troops to get the orders packed and ready to go. With only 4 or 5 weeks to ship our crop of 150,000 poinsettias, everything has to be done as efficiently as possible.
First we have to pick the plants from 1 of our 3 different greenhouse facilities and truck them to our main warehouse/distribution center where we "dress" them up in our new Christmas 2008 designer fashion. This year's theme is SNOWFLAKES and GLITTER.
At the distribution centre we have all our people work on an assembly line to put all the parts of the design together. One person is in charge of glitter.......another person is in charge of mylar and tissue paper....... another person is in charge of the decorative box......and the last person is in charge of putting on the protective, plastic sleeve.
I can't begin to tell you how much work it is to get all the individual pieces here in the greenhouse in time and in good order. Our decorations come from all over the world and all need to be here in time for harvest. We are happy to report that we FINALLY received our shipment from China just 1 day before shipping. WHEW! What a relief. I sure hope the rest of my stuff gets here soon :)


10 Comments »

10 Responses to “It's That Time Again!”

marina said...

I wish I was there to help you!!! Have you ever thought that you're a kind of Santa? He prepares presents like you do this time of the year...!

marina said...

I can't believe my eyes!!! I've just read at your previous posts that you had John Schneider at your house! How lucky you are! And it was just a few days ago when you said that your son looks like..."Bo"!!! Do you have clairvoyance?LOL!

Tamara Jansen said...

Nope, no clairvoyans.....I knew that they were going to be filming a movie with John and Roma but I didn't know which actors would actually come to my place. I was hoping it was John and Roma and IT WAS! Thus the sneeky little reference to Bo :)

Rosa said...

If I lived just a little bit closer I would have been on that line with the rest of them!
I see you've pressed other family members into service already! :)

Chandra said...

Guess who was just at Costco, saw some lovely poinsettias, questioned a worker regarding the plants' origins, then saw the nursery's name clearly printed on the label, so snatched one up to beautify her kitchen?

Yep, it's very lovely...and to think, it's a real piece of BC all the way over here in wintery Ontario!

I do think Costco should have given me a family discount, though... :o)

Jenny said...

Gorgeous! And what hard work! Wish they were sold here in Virgnia.

Patty said...

wow, that is a lot of plants ! They look beautiful.

Catherine Holman said...

These poinsettas are beautiful and your artistry is reflected in them. I'm just amazed at the size of your operation.
Cathie

Chris said...

Oh my gosh! How LUCKY are you to work amidst all that beauty! I wouldn't get anything done! I'd just be staring at them all day.

Liz said...

Wow... you are one busy woman!