Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas


Every year, just before we start to ship poinsettias, I start to get a funny feeling deep down in the pit of my stomach. Kind of like the Grinch when he hears the Who's singing down in Whoville. He knows that there's going to be a lot of hard work ahead to make sure that all the little Who's down in Whoville get their presents.......and I know what's ahead to make sure that all the little poinsettias in the greenhouse find a home before December 25th.




It's amazing how many things can go wrong during the 4 weeks of shipping poinsettias;




1. Not every plant turns out great.



2. Staff gets a little tired and cranky from all the long hours they have to work.


3. Trucks run into trouble and arrive late for appointments.



4. Plants fall off the loading docks.



5. Pots come in from China in the wrong color.

And the list goes on and on and on!


It doesn't take long and my nerves start to frazzle. My poor kids put up with a lot of my "venting" when the stress level rises.
It's a good thing Christmas is only once a year!


12 Comments »

12 Responses to “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas”

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Good Morning Tamara, I bet you do get a funny feeling in your stomach. I can only imagine the undertaking of getting all the gorgeous poinsettias to market. Since we will be away at Christmas this year I think the only holiday decor I will put up is a pretty poinsettia....probably white. Have a super great day. ~ Lynn
(P.S. I see you got rid of the comment verification thing. yeah!)

Nola @ the Alamo said...

Amazing to see that many poinsettias under one roof! How far away do you ship them? Should I be looking to see if they show up down here in Texas?

Colleen Van Dyk said...

You haven't started shipping yet? I saw some in superstore on Monday - didn't look to see if they were yours though. Or are you doing just Costco this year?

Rosa said...

I'll by praying this season goes smoothly. (or am I already to late?)

Brenda@View From The Pines said...

But don't you feel a bit like Santa shipping out those gorgeous goodies all over the place? I think I would.
Brenda

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I will never look at a poinsettia the same again.
I hear you!~ it is like a day at the whistlestop warehouse (only worse!)

The Berry's Patch said...

Wow, I can appreciate the hard work that goes into those poinsettias. Have a great weekend. You don't work on the weekends, right?

Tamara Jansen said...

Ha ha ha he he he ho ho ho! That is just too funny. Not working on the weekends.....oh you CRACK ME UP, Berry Patch :)

Rue said...

Just think... I may be buying one of your pontsettias this year and always have been and didn't even know it :)

I feel like the Grinch sometimes too, but then I look around at all my smiling who's and my heart grows three times as big ;)

rue

G. Bloom said...

Thanks for your visit! You have a delightful blog! I found myself laughing while reading, you have a great sense of humor! Wishing you smooth shipping season!
Gina

marina said...

Relax...everything will be ok!!! Think possitive for starts and everything will change to good...
Visit my blog as soon as you can! Something good is there for you!

~~kattz*cottage~~ said...

How wonderful to have a greenhouse full of Poinsettias! What alot of work but so rewarding I'm sure! Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

Enjoy your day!
Kathy