Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Cell Phone's Natural Predator.....and Pack Trials


ATTENTION ALL CELL PHONE OWNERS: If you own a cell phone, you need to read this post. There are some very big dangers facing you and your cell phone that probably no one has warned you about. They are very serious risks that could affect your ability to keep your phone. If you have never been informed of your cell phone's natural predators , you really need to keep reading!


The first natural predator that puts the lifespan of your cell phone at risk looks very harmless at first sight. It appears to be a simple, white porcelain toilet but anyone with a cell phone should know what an insidious mortal enemy this really represents. Never, I repeat, never place your cell phone in your back pocket as you approach this everyday looking bathroom fixture. If you should make a wrong move, say, lowering your pants to sit and rest a spell......well, this nasty little beast will swallow up your cell phone before you can can say "oops!". Cell phone electronics do NOT like water.......I should know.......it happened to me this week! If you've been trying to call me, that's why I haven't been answering.
The second natural predator your cell phone must face every day is this dangerous beast. It appears to be a typical tire on a typical car but, in actual fact, it's a hungry animal that loves to eat cell phones alive. Once again, the trick to avoiding this danger is to never, ever put your cell phone in your pocket because it could slip out and land under your vehicle and.....before you know it, you're shopping for a new cell phone. I should know.......it happened to me twice last year.
There is only 1 way to avoid losing your cell phone to these nasty predators. Buy the cheapest, biggest, ugliest cell phone you can find and these natural predators will completely ignore you and your phone. Only fancy ones with cameras and keyboards are susceptible to these dangers. I'm on my way to the Bell store to see if they have a $50 cheapo phone or I'm going to have a big problem during the Christmas rush!
Now, on a different note, today was the day for the Wescan Pack Trials. This is an event where growers from all over come to see the new Poinsettia varieties as well as the top performers from the previous years. This is held annually at Wescan Greenhouses here in Langley and Eric Voght always draws a big crowd.
Besides all the great food, there are lots of people to meet from the industry and varieties to consider for the coming Christmas season. Should we try this new Red variety?It looks like the branches tend to grow very horizontal and would break off easily during shipping.
How about this new pink variety? It looks very flourescent, which is really quite neat! It looks like it may color up a little too late in the season for us though. It needs to be treated to short days and long nights , a technique called blackout, to force it to come in to color on time.
The whole crew came out to check on the beautiful new colors. Pack Trials are like our industry's version of Fall or Spring Fashion week......we get to check out what's the newest fashions or fads in horticulture for 2009. It's a very serious business choosing next year's lineup and requires a whole lot of professionals writing their choices on clipboards. I forgot to write anything down because I was so busy talking, but I can always check with Grower Girl! She always does her assignments.


13 Comments »

13 Responses to “A Cell Phone's Natural Predator.....and Pack Trials”

Nola @ the Alamo said...

Oh, I love all the variety of colors, like a rainbow! Of course, the bright red is still my favorite!

Brenda@View From The Pines said...

My cell phone stays in a trusty little pocket in my purse. I'm not one to change purses much, so there it stays. I've never had those things happen to me, but then I'm not much of a cell phone talker. So that's probably why! I can imagine with children still at home it would be quite a different story!
Brenda

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Hi Tamara, I just love to read about the happenings in the greenhouse industry. Try as I might I just can't get into blue or orange poinsettias. :) Last year my son came to visit one weekend. As he was packing up to go home he put his brand new expensive cell phone on the edge of his Suv back area, through in his suitcases and then grab the over head door and pulled while I the same time I screamed...NOOOOOOOO......too late! The back cargo door totally smashed his new phone. We just stood there and laughed because that's all we could do.

Nola @ the Alamo said...

PS... About your comments on my garden update at AlamoNorth: Well, Tamara, actually, yes! I started gardening in January. Although not quite spring yet, I did start tilling and amending the soil. I didn't actually plant anything until February, when I set out the Bird of Paradise, and some other trees/bushes. We still have freezes and frosts every now and the through the first of April, but we have lots of warm, sunny days, too. So you'll see us down here in zone 8a in shorts and flip flops working in the yard on any sunny day in February! The following week, we may be out in a coat and gloves covering up all the tender growth when a freeze is predicted! Never a dull moment!

Rose B. said...

Love all the variety, but I must say I am drawn to the yellowish orange one. Neat!!

Thankfully I don't have a cell phone. LOL

Rosa said...

If I lived closer I would have snuck into the pack trials with you. Those plants are beautiful.
And as for the cell phone. . .
have you ever considered wearing it on a chain around your neck? You know, like the ones some people use for their glasses? I'm sure it would look VERY fashionable! Snicker. :)

Tootsie said...

ARE YOU IN CANADA?????? I saw you menitoned Langley...is that in B.C.?????? OMG ...I am in Alberta...and my husband is in Fort St. John working! I love all the colors...and I am so very jealous of your job....as for the cell phone....I understand the dangers we have where they are concerned! lol

Nancy-Mom said...

Beautiful, I'd have a hard time picking one or two or three....I love the one you're holding though, decisions, decisions. glad I don't have to make tham.

CurtissAnn said...

You had me LOL right during CSI Miami drama. :)

And how exciting to have a glimpse of the growers of poinsettias! Funny but for years I did not like them, and now I adore poinsettias. Of course, I'm so old fashioned and my favorites are the red ones.

Hugs,
CurtissAnn

Tootsie said...

please stop in today...and then again tomorrow. I have something to give to you both days...thanks girl

Tootsie said...

please stop in today...and then again tomorrow. I have something to give to you both days...thanks girl

Dana King said...

Wow...had no idea there were so many varieties. Hope we see some in the stores here.
Dana

mimi168888 said...

Oh my.... They have some beautiful colors... I love it...