Monday, October 6, 2008

We're going to Brazil


We've got tickets! Yup, we are on our way to Brazil this week. Believe me, I'm as shocked as you are about this turn of events. It turns out that the Big Guy has some meetings to attend in regards to his work on a committee that offers financial assistance for our fledgling churches in North Eastern Brazil. We are so excited to go. Every time we visit, we are deeply moved by the things we see and experience there.

Years ago we visited a small beach town, Maragogi, 2 1/2 hours south of Recife in Brazil. Our church was busy trying to assist the people in this very poor region of the planet with free medical care. They had set up a Nursery for babies suffering from dysentery or other common illnesses that were deadly when left untreated. My brother-in-law and his wife ran the nursery for a number of years, assisting the very needy Mother's in nursing their babies back to life.


Before I go any further in describing this work, perhaps I should give a few facts about Brazil and give you a better understanding of the situation there. Did you know that 14 million people live below the poverty line in North Eastern Brazil? Millions of children do not even have the basic necessities of life. Access to Health Care and Sanitation services are not easily available to those living below the poverty line. Children are the most vulnerable to disease, crime and illiteracy. Poverty bars millions from a better future


Because of these staggering factors plaguing the people in the area where our churches were busy with mission work, we began to offer basic living assistance with a focus on education. The former nursery where my brother and sister-in-law worked was eventually changed into a small christian elementary school. The need for a quality education was acute in the area. From it's small beginnings, the school has grown to 360 pupils, all receiving a top notch education and opening doors for a better life.

The principal, our good friend Moises, has implemented many new programs that have become widely respected by the surrounding community. Here we are attending a Math Fair put on by our school. Schools from the surrounding regions came to participate and learn. What fun it was to see these kids enjoying learning with eyes aglow!

Check out this life sized skeleton Moises is so proud of. He managed to save it from a back store room at a public school office somewhere......based on the size of the skeleton, it must be a Brazilian :) The Big Guy can't understand a word of Portuguese but everyone understands his mega watt smile!

We are so happy to be involved with the incredible work that goes on in Brazil! I've got lots of stories and pictures to share so make sure to keep posted.


CURRENT NEED: NEW (to us) SCHOOL BUS.


Here's a photo of my little Angel a number of years ago in front of the newly acquired (second hand, of course) bus that the school was able to purchase with donated funds from Canada. It has served the school very well. The problem is......new government regulations coming soon will ban buses from the highways that are older than a certain age......and our bus, regardless of the fact that it is in great shape, will be one of those banned. If you are able to help financially towards the purchase of a newer bus, please check out Mission Aid's website at http://missionaidbrazil.org/. You can contact a member of the board to receive more info on this or any other current project.


10 Comments »

10 Responses to “We're going to Brazil”

Rosa said...

Wow!
How exciting!
I'll be praying for you both!
Lots of love. . .

Brenda@View From The Pines said...

You sure lead an exciting life. For some reason, when I think of Brazil, I think of this exotic place. Thank you for setting me straight on the conditions.
Brenda

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

Tamara,
Thank you so much for popping by my blog and for liking my music and calling me "cool" - you made me smile (and blush).
I hope it is okay that I add you to my prayers as you journey to far away lands. May you have our Father's God hand of protection on you always.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Thank you for sharing this inspiring experience with us. Let me add my prayers to the others on behalf of this most important work.
Our Church takes the Youth down to Mexico once a year to help in the orphanages and to do service projects. I got to go last year. What a great experience.
Take care while you're away.
M.L.

Nola @ Alamo North said...

I've seen photos of wood, tin and cardboard shacks with satellite dishes mounted on the roof. Just shocking! I hope you see lots of the beauty of the country while you are there!

Nancy-Mom said...

I'm jedalous ! take care while you are there, may our Lord keep you in your travels.

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Tamara, that was a poignant and beautiful spotlight on the youngest of Brazil and your churches' efforts. I know our Lord and Savior would be so proud. Our church is doing the same work in Peru, where life is also desperate.

I hope you have a wonder filled and safe trip.~~Dee

Barb said...

Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment.

What a beautiful blog you have (and heart)!

I will be praying for much success and a very safe journey.

hugs,
Barb

Natalie said...

I've always felt a connection with Brazil because they speak the same language as we do in the Acores. The situation there is so dire, and it's fantastic what you are doing.

jennykate77 said...

What a wonderful thing you guys are doing! My prayers will be with you.