Monday, September 29, 2008

Setting out the Poinsettias




It's the start of a brand new week. The sun is shining out here in BC and that just makes everything look better in the greenhouse. I figure that today is a perfect day to update you on what's going on over here.


First of all, we are done with all our Garden Mums. The field used to look like this........and now it looks like this! What a relief. We dodged the White Rust bullet once again this year. I know we are spraying to avoid the disease but we just never feel completely comfortable that one day the nasty thing might become immune to our sprays and come back with a vengeance.


Since the mums are all done, we are now full swing into Christmas production. Today everyone is busy spacing out all our Poinsettias. In the new facility we have a special hanging basket system where we can hang 3 layers of plants. The guys have to go up on sky jacks to hang the pots up. We didn't think about how much time everyone would be spending looking up......looking waaaay up. Everyone's gonna get some really strong neck muscles, if this picture is any indication. Do you recognize this hanger? Can you remember where you've seen it before? Isn't that just the coolest invention? A plant hanger that doubles as an ornament holder.


9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Setting out the Poinsettias”

The Brenda Blog said...

Boy, you're one busy woman! Love the photo of all those fall-colored mums! With your kids and your business, do you actually ever have any time to just chill and do nothing?
Brenda

Rosa said...

Well Brenda, I think I'll answer for my sister.
In a word. . .
No. :)
Looks good Tam.

Sharon said...

Wow! This is so interesting! I can't believe that you guys do all that work and grow so many plants! I am so impressed and in awe.

Hope the poinsettias do well for you!

Hugs, Sharon

Rue said...

Hi Tamara :)

The wedding was just as beautiful as the sweet couple that were married. Congratulations to them and to you for pulling it off and making it perfect :)

I'm so sorry your son's fingers got burnt. Cooking can be dangerous stuff ;)

I can't believe it almost time for Christmas! If there were blooms on those Pointsettias, I would be in a panic LOL

rue

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

I find this all so fascinating. Where is the chandelier? :)

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

All the mums were sooo beautiful this year...it's getting colder now, what an awesome job you did! I can't wait to see all of your poinsettia's :)

Have a great day!
Kathi :)

CurtissAnn said...

Thank you for the fascinating look at the growing of plants that I enjoy. For years I simply did not care for poinsettias at all. Maybe I had to grow up. :) I adore them now! Thank you for growing them. And you are so clever to multi-task with the plant holders!
hugs,
CA

Saucy said...

How do you keep this all organized? Mums, wedding, poinsettias... they look cool when they are green, by the way.

Catherine Holman said...

Tamara, Thanks for dropping by my blog and for your sweet comment! We so enjoyed the mums at the fall festival and seeing your operation in Canada is amazing! Can't wait to see the poinsettas in bloom!
Catherine