Tuesday, September 23, 2008

How to build a Chandelier


Did you happen to notice the big chandelier that hung in the middle of the reception hall for my little Angel's wedding? Wasn't it just FABULOUS?! You're not going to believe this but actually......I made. Yup, you heard me......that is a unique piece of art made especially by me. I had looked into renting a nice big one but they were quite expensive. At one rental place that I stopped at, I got a real close look at their light and realized that it was a home made job, and not a very good one, but from a distance it looked pretty nice.


That gave me an idea......uh oh, watch out! Tamara's got an idea......


The first step was to do a little investigation on the internet. I found this simple style and, based on this I drew up a diagram. I took the diagram to the greenhouse and asked our resident Welder Guy to make one up for me. Our Welder Guy is such a gem! He set to work immediately to try make my chandelier frame. His first attempt ended in failure but.....a few days later he tried again. This time it was successful.



Next I called up my brother in law, Slim Jim, and asked if he could help me with the electrical part of the light. Electrical things are a specialty of his. I stopped by at Ikea and bought a few simple light sockets that he was able to attach to the arms of the chandelier. Then he added some rope light for a little bit of mood lighting.


Once the lights were on, it was time to add the "Bling". That's my forte! I just love "Bling". I bought 700 feet of pearls from my local Florist Supply store. Next I ordered 40 garlands of acrylic crystals from a Floral Supply place in Ontario (only 5 days drive from here). It took about 2 weeks for all the crystals to arrive. Look how pretty they are!


I found out that it's actually quite a bit of work to string 700 feet of pearls onto a chandelier frame, just in case you were wondering. My new son in law gave me a hand putting it together which was wonderful. Can you imagine that? Instead of telling me that the whole idea of a giant 6 foot chandelier to use as decoration at the wedding was way over the top......he helps me put it together! Isn't he just a doll?


Anyone looking to rent a home made, used chandelier for their next party?


29 Comments »

29 Responses to “How to build a Chandelier”

antigoni said...

Fantastic job. You are capable of everything. Your husband is a very lucky guy.

Nola @ AlamoNorth said...

I am speechless, that is amazing! I'd have never even attempted it, you did a great job. Can I borrow your welder for a week or two?

Tamara Jansen said...

Everyone has been asking to borrow my welder guy once they heard about his amazing talents! Maybe I should have kept him a secret :)

Reader Wil said...

What a great job you did! I find it very clever that you designed the chandelier and that you ordered the pearls and other "bling"
The result is really stunning!

Nancy-Mom said...

Someone (can't remember who) told me about your beautiful chandelier, she said it was gorgeous. Now, if I can remember who it was I'd tell them you made it yourself.

The Brenda Blog said...

Wow! I wouldn't even have attempted that! But good for you. You are a woman of many talents, obviously.
Brenda

Vintage&Chic said...

This is truly DIY!!! Can't believe that you have done such huge and beautiful lamp, just for one day! Congratulations from Spain.

Connie said...

Thank you soooo much for visiting with me, my little chick!! I appreciate all visitors to my blog. Now.........I CANNOT believe you made that chandelier for the wedding!!!!!!!!! That's stunning!! Plus a monumental accomplishment and labor of love, sweets!
Smooches,
Connie

Rosa said...

The wedding (and the chandelier) was awesome!

Patty said...

That is beautiful !

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Holy Moly Girl, That is the most amazing thing you made and the greenhouse transformation is over the top. Absolutely gorgeous table settings and just everything!! I don't know what to say!! You should sell the chandelier on ebay...no wait...I think you should leave it hanging in the greenhouse for an over the top display. ~ In awe of you Lynn.
P.S. I don't think there is any plant a deer won't try. I have tried all kinds of things to discourage them such as my dog, fencing, silver pie plates, zest soap, a ton of hair from my hairdresser, whirly gigs and some things I won't even mention...nothing so far has worked.

marina said...

It was the first thing I noticed in the hall! I can't believe you made it! You have the charisma of making! You also have capable assistants! Good for you! Soon I'll show you what me and my hubby made last year! WE ALL CAN DO EVERYTHING!

Dragonstar said...

What a really clever project. Well done!

The big day seems to have gone off beautifully.

Jenni B said...

Wowee! It turned out beautifully! What a fun adventure. You know, it just goes to show that we really can do anything we come up with in our little brains!!

Sweetly,
Jenni B

Saucy said...

You made it. You MADE it? I love you.... I bow down to you, my new hero! Simply amazing.

Mom in the north said...

You are amazing, and your son-in-law is a smart man. It is much easier for him to help you than to try to talk you out of it! :o)
Hank and Karin in Smithers

Fifi Flowers said...

WOW!!! AMAZING!!! That is a BIG chandelier!

Michelle@Everyday Celebrating said...

wow! That is amazing! Good job!

Chris said...

I am completely blown away by this. Do you think I could whip this up in a weekend? :) I LOVE it! You're a genius.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

I could never get tired of looking at this post. It's just so breathtaking!
Mary Lou

Liz said...

WOW! That is amazing.

Sandy said...

Fab u lous!!!!!!!!! Stunning and so creative. My hats off to you
Sandy

mimi168888 said...

OMG, That is so pretty. I love it.

Astrid said...

Oh wow! My husband would ever be so jealous of your welding equipment. Some like woodworking...mine loves metal. I am so impressed with the chandelier you created!

Kim said...

That is amazing. I'm very impressed and you are very resourceful. If you lived closer, I would totally take you up on using your masterpiece. It would be worth creating a special event just to use it.
(P.S. I have my own welder guy. He's made some great yard structures for me.)

Kim@ForeverWherever said...

That is amazing! My dad is a welder, so this seems like something that he would come up with. Very good job! I'm just so impressed!!!

lvroftiques said...

OMG! That is fabulous!! Man oh man I wouldn't want to get in the way of something you want! You are a woman with a mission!! You're right the form is actually really simple but to pull that off took moxy galore!!(sorry that sounded like a strippers name lol!) Did your daughter and SIL absolutely love it? I am so glad I only had to fix a little 18"er lol! That was challenge enough for me! Anyhoo thank so much Tamara for stopping by my blog. I always welcome a visit from you! Vanna

lvroftiques said...

Oh and I NEED that welder guy!! *winks* V

French Vanilla said...

Very clever...lots of work but worth the effort!

Sheila